Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Surgery and Suboxone

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cajunmeme

cajunmeme

Female
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Good,love people
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Surgery and Suboxone Empty
PostSubject: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 8:25 pm

[i][b]
Hello to Everyone,
I know I've been away for quite some time,but I've just not been feeling well. I've really been struggling with my Lupus. I feel like my life has been on hold for several months now.

Now,I'm faced with surgery at the end of the month. I have multiple tumors on my bladder. I'm so very concerned about when to stop taking the Suboxone and not putting myself into w/d at the same time. I've looked around for info but there are lots of different answers. I've even seen one say you can take 1 or 2 mg. with the pain meds. Not sure about that one. I only want to take the pain meds for a few days then back to the Suboxone. I just don't want to be in a mess with no pain relief. The Dr. has scared the heck out of me about the pain.
I've not told him about Suboxone b/c I don't want to be treated like a addict. I will tell my Suboxone Dr. this week and see what she says but was hoping someone has had some expereince in this.

I appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

I'll try to come around more b/c I really do miss you gals.

Marie I love you
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 9:48 pm

Hi Marie,

It's so good to hear from you again.
I have often thought of you and how you were doing.

I'm sorry that your facing surgery Crying or Very sad

I have heard the same that you mentioned, getting down as low as 1 or 2 mg and being ok.
But you should see what your Sub Dr says. I totally understand you not wanting to tell you surgeon. I probably wouldn't either.

Please keep in touch. I have truly missed you !!!

Be well,
Blue
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyMon 04 Feb 2013, 10:34 am

Good morning Marie,
I know you don't want to talk to your surgeon because of the stigma that is attached to Suboxone and addiction. You want adequate pain relief but wonder if you will get it if you mention Suboxone due to being an addict. Some doctors sadly still think that addicts should not be medicated but there are some who do understand.
I've always said it is best to tell your doctor about any kind of medication you are taking. And this surgery sounds serious, not just an in and out thing. Not saying that an in and out thing isn't serious. Any time you have surgery it is serious.
Back to your dilemma though.

It is suggested that in the case of acute pain or for a patient undergoing a procedure that patient should lower their daily dose of Suboxone down to a dose that will allow the medication to break through the Suboxone. What dose would that be? I honestly don't know.
Some say anything under 8mg a day and some say 1-2mg. My own experience in the ER was that when I was given dilaudid and was taking 16mg(Suboxone), the dilaudid did help the pain. That was for a short time use.
Is your Suboxone doctor willing to take over handling your pain after surgery? That may be one suggestion. You know your doctor better than any one of us here. One thing though, if you are still taking Suboxone and have to take your pain medication at the same time you should be okay. If you stop your Suboxone altogether for the pain medication you will have to be off of the pain pills before re-starting Suboxone. Like induction all over again.

You know how it goes on the Internet, there are always some that will say things not knowing what they are talking about. Just repeating what they have read and some of those people have never taken Suboxone at all. To quote you, "Stay away from the horror stories"

It is good to hear from you after such a long time. I hope all goes well with the surgery and your are up and about in no time at all. I will keep you in my prayers.
love to you,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

Hello my name is Jasmine. I have been on the forum for a few months now..
I can't answer your questions. But I can offer you support!

I hope that your surgery goes well! And that you recover quickly!
I'll keep you in my prayers.

Much love. I love you Jasmine
Back to top Go down
cajunmeme

cajunmeme

Female
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Good,love people
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyMon 11 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm

[i][b]
Thank you all for your replies.
I'm still not certain what I'm going to do. My Suboxone Dr. thinks I should do it with Suboxone only. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that. For the last 2 years I've feared this day to come. I'm thankful I have some time to make a decision on how to handle this and that it's not a emergency.

My Dr. is telling me that ppl with knee replacements have done it on only Suboxone. I can tell you that I had that surgery about 6 years ago and there was no amount of pain meds to get me comfortable so that's not a good example for me.

I'm doing alot of praying about this and I'm going to drop myself down to a very low dose before next week.
ALso,she said she would call me in extra Suboxone if I want them b/c I can take up to 4 a day. I did take 4 a day when I first got on Suboxone.

I also thought that there is a chance that the hospital will pull a Pharmacy Log on me. I'm not sure if they do that only when you go thru the ER or anytime a patient is in the hospital.

Only thing I know for sure is to pray. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm going to try to make the meeting tomorrow night.

Love To You All

Marie I love you
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyMon 11 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm

Marie, I will keep you in my prayers.
In my area when you go to the hospital whether it be in the ER or for any kind of admittance, they do pull the pharmacy records to go over with you to make sure they are aware of your medications. I believe it is more of a safety thing to make sure nothing happens or there are no interactions with any medications you may be taking.
I know you are worried and sometimes just being worried can make pain worse. I imagine you must be a wreck if you have been dreading this for two years now.
Please take care and try not to worry, I know it is easier said than done though.
thinking of you,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyTue 12 Feb 2013, 7:00 am

Hi Marie,
Your in my thoughts. I totally understand being worried.
I hope you do make it to chat tonight. I miss talking to you !!
Stay strong ! This to shall pass !

((HUGS)))))
E.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone EmptyThu 14 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

[color=violet]

Hello Marie!

I'm sorry you have to go through this! And I am also sorry that you are worrying so much!
I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers!

In my opinion I think you should try doing it with just suboxone and if the pain is to unbearable then you can try something else, but then you'd have to wait at least 24 hours to take anything at all. Sad So that means you probably can't go with that option.. LOL Sorry I suggested something so stupid! LOL.

I do know that suboxone works well for pain. I usually dose once a day 6 mg. But I was having some bad back pain and decided I would use the suboxone for my pain. I talked with the doctor about it and he told me to split up my dose to every 4-6 hours. So I take 2mg then 4-6 hours later take 2 more mg. This way I didn't have to raise my dose that I worked so hard to taper down to!

I hope that you can figure this out. Just make sure you do what's best for you! And not what other people think is best for you!

Blue is right! This too shall pass! And when its over, you can keep going in your recovery on suboxone!

Much love. I love you -Jasmine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgery and Suboxone   Surgery and Suboxone Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgery and Suboxone
Page 1 of 1