Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Having trouble transferring to another state

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
candigrll

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Having trouble transferring to another state Empty
PostSubject: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 11:57 am

I have been a stable suboxone patient for over 3 years now. I started on Suboxone as I was taking too much Vicodin/Darvocet. etc, for some crinic pain problems due to a previous injury. Although it seemed as of my Dr. at the time had the goal to evnetually wean me off (as was my goal too in the beginning), I wnet through a series of medical problems where I foulnd out that I had a lot more issues than I started with (PCOS, high blood sugar, low thyroid). It took all most 2 years of testing to sort it all out, and I have finally stableized all my meds and have been on a steady dose of 4mg per day.

Now I have moved to WA state from Tx, and I haven't been to my sub dr for almost 2 months, and I have had to dose myself even lower as I have been searching for a dr for over a week now. I am very frustrated as my dr at home said he would galdly fax my records, and now that I am here, I have called over 30 drs, and have only found one or 2 that will even give me an appt......I am still waiting for the records to be faxed, and if they aren't in by inthe morning, I will have to start over as a new pt., complete with drug screen, etc., and it will be an all day affair. I also have to travel 21/2 hrs., and as a new pt I'll have to go back every week until I am "stabilized". SO do I have to lie at the drug screen and say that Ihave been using to continue the program, as I am afriad that I won't have opiates in my system and they wiil turn me away. I know this sounds crazy, but I had no idea how hard it would be to transfer!!!
Back to top Go down
Kevin

Kevin

Male
Number of posts : 16
Humor : see above
Registration date : 2010-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm

Hi Candigrll.
I really wish I had some answers for you as I can only share in your frustration. I know it well.
What I can say is that I would do whatever it takes to get in as soon as possible. If it came down to getting in in a couple of days or a couple of weeks? Or staying clean vs using? I would tell them I'm Barack Obama and if I don't get in soon i'm raising your taxes. LOL. All kidding aside. I really would tell them whatever I needed to. That's me though. Do what your comfortable doing.
Just a thought, if you have friends or relatives still in WA State could your doctor/ former doctor write you a script and have a friend or relative fill it and then mail it to you? I'm not even sure if that would be legal so take it for what it's worth.

Isn't it great that you will have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to get to a Doctor that will help? Not only that but if you have to start over it's the first four weeks.
Grrrreat. I find it hard to believe that they would hold you to the four week thing but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
I had my own little nightmare involving my Ins. Co. and finding a doctor. The drive I was complaining about is nothing compared to yours and I was stunned that they expected me to drive 1 hr to a doctor when there were 10 within ten miles of me And 1 could take me within a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

Having trouble transferring to another state Welcom10

Hi Candigirl,
My name is Dee and I am the director of Suboxone Assisted Treatment as well as the manager of this forum.
I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. What your old doctors office is doing is not right at all.
I hate the thought of you having to start over and you shouldn't have to just because of an office screw up.
When was the last time that you spoke with the doctor in Texas? That is the old provider right?
Sometimes you just have to get on that phone and don't get off of it until you have accomplished what you set out to do. Ask them what the hold up is.
I have a few questions for you. Have you been to the new Providers office to sign the paperwork so that your old provider can fax the records? Even if you signed the release before you left Texas they may require your new provider to request the records be sent.
Has this been done yet.
I would go to the new Providers office and talk to them in person. I know it's a long drive but you need to do whatever it takes to make sure you are able to get your medication. Do you have your prescription bottle(s) from the pharmacy that you used to use in Texas? Maybe if you showed them to the new doctor it might help. Or if you went to a pharmacy that is nationwide it maybe possible to obtain your pharmacy records.
I know that a lot of them are linked together.
Take Rite Aid for instance, I used them in Alabama and even though I am now in Vermont, they can still access my old records. That is just a thought. I know it isn't that same as having your old records but it will prove the the new provider that you have been taking Suboxone over a period of time along with the dose that you were taking. They might have questions like "why did it take so long for you to contact a new provier." And that is when you can explain to them that you have been looking but not having any luck. How much Suboxone do you have left? Are you near running out?

Please keep us informed as to what is going on. We really do care about you. And we are here to help you in anyway that we can.
I should have already welcomed you to the forum but I got so into reading what was going on with you that I completely forgot. So, Welcome Candigirl to the Suboxone Forum; "The Light At The End of The Tunnel."
It is a pleasure to have you here with us. Hang in there. We will get this figured out for you. Keep posting, sometimes when you are able to talk about a problem it can help you find the solution you are looking for.
If you need anything let us know. I hope to hear back from you soon.
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
candigrll

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! So here is an update in how it went..
After calling my former provider for over a week, I was never able to recieve the fax. Normally, I would just bring my reg med records, but at mty last appt with my old dr, he actually brought up the subject of providing a letter about my compliance, so I was really mainly upset that he went back on his word.

Although I was very stressed about starting over, I am actually extreamly happy that I did. Although this new dr has many regulations (and I'm not sure if this is everywhere or just him), I think that he knows ALOT more about managing addiction and long term pain management than my previous one in TX. I now realize that I was on such a low dose that it really wans't helping me, and that I was racked with guilt for being on Suboxone for so long. This new dr reassured me that there is no pressure to wean down (which was a constant pressure at the old one). So even though he is 2.5 hrs away, I'm going to return, this friday to make sure I am finally stablized at the right dosage, and then I am going to attempt to find a therapist in this area (Goldendale WA) that I need to see on a weekly basis. The new dr even said that he would transfer all my records if a find a closer provider (I've been told this story before, but I really hope this one means it!)

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and maybe this happened to get me back onthe right course. I didn't even realize how much constant pain I was in, and how I constantly had to pretend that I felt OK (it's the addict in me, I'm always trying to put up a good front...) This morning is the first morning that I have experienced in several years where I have woken up from bed and not been in pain, and I actually enjoy waking up with my child instead of pretending that I feel great when I really didn't, so at least I feel like I have hope!

On a final note, why does it seem that everyone that is complient and sucessful on Suboxone is punished by added fed regulation due to a few people that abuse the system! There are so many rules now, and I kknow they put these rules in place to weed out the ones who are abusing it, but it frustrates me that there are SO MANY who could benefit from treatment, yet it is so complicated to find!
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 8:06 pm

Having trouble transferring to another state Ur_wel10

Hi Candigirl,
I am so happy for you that things have turned out the way they have. And I am not surprised at the lack of lets say education on your old provider side of things.
One would think a doctor would be required to go through more training than what they really are.
Below is an outline of what the basic requirement is. I wanted to post it as a lot of people don't know and you have just gave me the opportunity to bring it up.

According to DATA 2000, licensed physicians are considered qualified to prescribe SUBOXONE if at least 1 of the following criteria has been met:

Holds an addiction psychiatry subspecialty board certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties
Holds an addiction medicine certification from the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
Holds an addiction medicine subspecialty board certification from the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
Completion of not less than 8 hours of authorized training on the treatment or management of opioid-dependent patients
Organizations currently authorized to provide training:
American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP), American Medical Association, AOA (through the American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine [AOAAM]), American Psychiatric Association (APA), and ASAM

Participation as an investigator in 1 or more clinical trials leading to the approval of SUBOXONE
Training or other such experience as determined by the physician's state medical licensing board
Training or other such experience as determined by the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services
In addition, physicians must satisfy BOTH of the following criteria:

Have the capacity to provide or to refer patients for necessary ancillary services, such as psychosocial therapy
Agree to treat no more than 30 patients at any one time in an individual or group practice during the first year following certification or 100 patients upon re-notification of the need and intent to treat up to 100 patients after one year

I am confused by your last sentence about Federal Regulations changing. Can you please give me an example of what you mean. It is possible that you new provider has some rules that you other one did not have but, may not be a result of Federal Regulations.
If you need any help in locating a counselor your provider is supposed to be able to refer you to someone in the area. That is one of the requirements of his obtaining his certification for prescribing Suboxone.
But if you find that you need help in locating one let me know and I will be happy to help.
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble transferring to another state   Having trouble transferring to another state Empty

Back to top Go down

Having trouble transferring to another state
Page 1 of 1