Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Particular

Male
Number of posts : 44
Humor : Speeding through nowhere at the velocity of dreams
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days Empty
PostSubject: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySat 28 Feb 2009, 4:47 pm

Hi Dee/Barb/Mez/Everyone,

I had a weird night, but I think I'm doing better. I was only able to sleep about 4 hours, then I woke up with withdrawls, but I didn't take anymore suboxone. At about 7 am I was able to fall asleep again for about 4 hours, and when I woke up I was covered and soaked the bed in withdrawl sweats. At first it felt just like cold turkey sweats becasue it's a dirty gritty sweat if that makes any sense, like your body is releasing toxin out of your pours, I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. So anyways I got some clean pj's on and dried off, and I was gonig to take more suboxone but I didn't and now I'm feeling like it's bearable. I guess what I'm getting at, is if these were real withdrawls I wouldn't get better would I? Or is this just how suboxone works your first few days? A bit wavey?

Anyone's Insight is appreicated, please share with me your first few days on Suboxone, I think this will help me. I am going to go out today and do something like get a milkshake or something.

~Particular
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySat 28 Feb 2009, 8:22 pm

When you talk of the dirty gritty sweats I know what you are talking about. The first time I kicked heroin cold turkey, I was on a greyhound bus, bound for Vermont. I had nothing with me and had to care for my son who was 18 months old at the time.

Suboxone is supposed to do two things, eliminate cravings and eliminate withdrawals. if your having withdrawals, then I would guess that your dose is not high enough. How much are you taking. How long after your dose was it that you started to feel that way?
The idea of using Suboxone is to keep a level of the medication in your system to aide in easing the symptoms of withdrawal. In other words it would make sense to stay on a regular dosing schedule. My first days wouldn't help you. I had been detoxing off Methadone for 30 days before I started. I used oxycontin sparingly, to help me until I could get into residential treatment.

Maybe some of the other members here can help you with the experience. I wish I could be of more help here.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Particular

Male

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySat 28 Feb 2009, 10:21 pm

Hi Dee,

It was at about 12 hours, I took 16 mg prior to that. I'm really starting to think I'm just one of those people that need quite a bit to start. I'm feeling much better today, and am almost out of withdrawls completely now. I think I'm finally going to be ok now. If I still feel this good tomorrow then I think I'll try to get by on 2 tablets a day taken 12 hours apart. I really don't want to have to take 32 mg daily. I want to try the 3 month plan that I'm hearing so much about. If it takes longer so be it, but I guess my best case would be 3 months. If I can make it on 16 mg then I would cut down 2mg a week after two weeks at 16 mg.

To answer your question from a few posts ago I was given a week supply at 32 mg. From the Doctor, who was a chewer, and that is why I think he told me to put the tablets between the cheek and gum. During the office visit I had taken opiates to recently to do the office intake, so he said I could do it at home. It's a very busy office and you only meet once a week for appointments. I think he's treating a lot of patients.

~Particular
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 12:18 am

Hi Particular, I am one of the newer members here. I been on Suboxone since 08/14/08. When I started Suboxone on the first day I had no more withdrawals or cravings. I take 16 mgs a day. I have a really good Suboxone Dr. And she would not let me leave the office until I was out of withdrawal and had no cravings. I had to see her three days straight to find my maintance dose. You shouldn't be having any withdrawals or craving from day one. If you are you are not dosing right. Did your doctor set up aftercare for you? I hope you are feeling better. If you have any questions just ask. Love Cathy
Back to top Go down
Particular

Male

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 3:42 am

Thanks Cathy,

and nice to meet you. My doctor told me the wrong way to take it. thanks to Dee, I've started taking it correctly and it's working now. I'm needed quite a bit to get out of withdrawls, I took about 32 mg for two days before I started feeling more normal. I wasn't having severe withdrawls, but I was to sick to get out of bed the first couple days. I actually took a shower and went out to eat today. I'm finally at the right dose, well or at least at the dose to get me feeling normal. I'm a little scared to take less again, but tomorrow I'm going to try and get by with 16mg per day. I hope I don't have to keep taking 32 in order to feel normal.

Once again, Nice to meet you! I love this place so much. I can't believe how nice all the people are so far. It's so nice to be able to talk with other's that have gone through what I'm going through, I didn't realize how important it was going to be to join a forum, I'm so glad I found this one.

~Particular...
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 12:36 pm

particular,
I am glad to hear that you are finally feeling better. It probably did you some good to get out and not sit at home. The fresh air does wonders for us.
For some people it does take a higher dose for them to stabilize, you might be one of those people. But don't let it worry you, it is normal. No two people are alike. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others.
There are three phases of maintenance treatment with Suboxone
(1) Induction
(2) Stabilization
(3) Maintenance

Deborah has all of that information on the suboxone website. Please go there and read it. I think that if you do. You will be able to understand it better, than if I try to explain it to you.
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org/42.html
Please go and read it.
Also copy it for your doctor and give it to him at your next appointment.
Before I forget. What 3 month plan are you talking about? I haven't heard of one. Please don't put a time limit on your Suboxone treatment, you could be setting yourself up for relapse. Take your time.
I have been on Suboxone for going on 4 years now. At first I though I'd be off of it within a year. But I am one of those people that will probably be on it for the rest of my life and that is okay with me. It keep me where I need to be. Away from opiates.
Have a good day. Enjoy yourself. Smile and whistle often, it puts a spring in your step.
Don't forget to read the website.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Particular

Male

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 2:53 pm

Very good website!

The 3 month plan I was talking about is just something I've read in a few places. I don't think it's official by any means or suggested. I think people are probably confusing things, or Doctors are one of the two. I keep hearing 2 weeks to stabilize, then coming down at 2 mg a week. But now that I read the website, I wonder if people are confusing 2 weeks with 2 months. I'm pretty sure my doctor said 2 months, then 2mg reduction every 2 weeks. I think my doctor has some of his own ideas, and then it seems he goes by the book when it suits him. I think I've read over a hundred stories, and plans that people have when they start suboxone, but to be honest I only hear plans. I don't hear that the plans worked. It's not like anyone follows their get off suboxone plan posts with, "Hey, I did the same thing and it worked great!". I think probably a lot of people that are serious about getting off the drugs probably hope that they can get off of the suboxone as fast as possible, but I'm starting to see the successful people seem to be on much longer plans, and are at a much lower dose than the 16 to 32 mg daily. I will try to ween down when I'm able, but I fear the reality may be a much longer road than I would have liked. Regardless, I'm not doing an illegal drug, I feel much more normal already than I have in 2 years, so either way I'm going to be a success story. I think this will be a better plan for me and I won't end up feeling like I'm not making my goals if things don't go to plan.

Thank you Dee, your wisdom and advice has been so helpful!

~Your Partner in Recovery,
~Particular...
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 4:48 pm

Yes, particular you Will be a success story!
Keep it up.
I am very proud of you.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 10:52 pm

Hi Paticular,

Sorry I haven't been here much the last few weeks. I have Hepatitis C and at times I'm really sick...just like withdrawals, but I know what it is. This is why I want to detox and then take the therapy for my hepatic problem. I have the type which responds best to medicine, so I may get away with three months of treament, if I give up smoking and I eat sensible, but I get caught up watching late night television and can't get up when I need to. I need as you do, to find a comfort zone and if you feel you can go four days on a lower dose and be comfortable again, then you will be okay. Your brain make up is so complicated. Everything depends on how much and what kind of damage was done and how fast you can make it work again. A hurried out could be a good thing, if you can stay out. It took me from 1984 to 1991 to sober up from alcohol and stay sober. I did have a six year "dry period," but was sober and drunk so many times after that. I guess I wanted to live more than I wanted to die and I stayed sober. When it comes to repairing endophins and the joy part of your brain, if there's unrepairable damage done, you may have to stay on a maintence dose forever. Everyone is different. I'm determined to make it out. I'll always stay here to help the addict still struggling. I'm here to witness you can do heroin, then five years of speed and then six years of Oxycontin and make it out with a good soul and heart.

Take care,
Yours in the srtuggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
Particular

Male

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm

Hi Barbara,

I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. I'm so sorry to hear that you're ill with the Hep C. As if we don't have enough struggles as it is. I was ill for about 2.5 years from a non-known side effect of avandia, so I can understand the strain it takes out of a person's soul. My brother did very well with his treatment for Hep C, and that was 6 years ago, and his counts are still good. Why won't they let you stay on suboxone and do the hep treatment? Is suboxone that hard on the liver?

Your Parter in Recovery,
~Particular...
Back to top Go down
Beinok

Beinok

Female
Number of posts : 16
Humor : Great sense of humor
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptyMon 02 Mar 2009, 4:26 pm

Particular wrote:
Hi Dee/Barb/Mez/Everyone,

I had a weird night, but I think I'm doing better. I was only able to sleep about 4 hours, then I woke up with withdrawls, but I didn't take anymore suboxone. At about 7 am I was able to fall asleep again for about 4 hours, and when I woke up I was covered and soaked the bed in withdrawl sweats. At first it felt just like cold turkey sweats becasue it's a dirty gritty sweat if that makes any sense, like your body is releasing toxin out of your pours, I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. So anyways I got some clean pj's on and dried off, and I was gonig to take more suboxone but I didn't and now I'm feeling like it's bearable. I guess what I'm getting at, is if these were real withdrawls I wouldn't get better would I? Or is this just how suboxone works your first few days? A bit wavey?

Anyone's Insight is appreicated, please share with me your first few days on Suboxone, I think this will help me. I am going to go out today and do something like get a milkshake or something.

~Particular
[b]
Hi Particular,
I also am new to the site, but have enjoyed it tremendously in the few weeks that I have been here. Regarding how you are feeling during the first few days of Suboxone. Honestly, I have to tell you that I felt great the very first day I took it. I was also prescribed 32mg (and had no problem with taking it!). I did titrate myself up - per Dr.s instructions, and it took the full 32mgs to do the trick. I have now been on 32mg of Suboxone for 15 months and have never felt better in my life. Suboxone is a miracle drug to me and will probably be on it the rest of my life. I think of it as the ole "diabetic comparison" and have absolutely no qualms with taking it for as long as it takes. I also have no problem with the dosage. I have come down several times, as an experiment, and found that I just did better on 32mgs. I don't like the idea of simply sitting around and having the drug do all the work so to speak. I now run, do yoga, kick boxing, etc.. I eat well and generally take good care of myself. With the torment I put my body through, I feel it deserves some good things queen I have never heard of the three month plan you referred to. I will always believe that finding Suboxone was a gift and stopping it would be like throwing poking a hole in my life raft. I'm sorry that you went through the agony of withdrawal, I don't think it was necessary. If your doc is not serving your needs, find a new one ASAP. Hope you feel better physically and emotionally. There is no time table for becoming and staying stable. Too many good things in life!
Good luck, Beinok
Back to top Go down
Particular

Male

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days EmptyTue 03 Mar 2009, 3:20 am

Thank You Beinok,

You're absolutely right in your post, and I am so happy that the Suboxone is working for me now. I had a rough start and a lot of fear due to an attempt 2 months ago at going cold turkey, I made it 8 days and broke. I will not let myself ever get to that state again if I can help it. I'm so glad that Suboxone has worked so well for so many here and in the world. I do hope that someday I can live well without it, but if not using it comes at a cost of misery I will most certainly continue. We never know how many days we have left, or days with the ones we love the most. I must say one year in happiness is a much happier thought than 20 years spent in misery. One of the things I've really been trying to work on lately is applying the lessons I've learned during my life, and truely learning to live in the moment. I don't know why it's so hard to do, but I've really tried hard to do this, and I'm not very good at it yet, but I will keep trying. One thing I will say about myself is I don't give up easy. I broke on day 8 of cold turkey, but not because I couldn't have made it longer, but because I didn't want to loose everything I've worked for over the last decade. My wife, my job, and my self image... Thanks to suboxone I didn't have to loose it all.

Ok I'm rambling again Smile Take care Beinok,

Your Partner In Recovery,
~Particular...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days   Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days Empty

Back to top Go down

Day 3 Suboxone - Share with me each of your first few days
Page 1 of 1