Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suboxone/ Methadone

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Suboxone/ Methadone Empty
PostSubject: Suboxone/ Methadone   Suboxone/ Methadone EmptySat 07 Feb 2009, 12:59 pm

• Methadone VS. Suboxone

From time to time, I often wish that I would have stayed on Methadone instead of switching over to Suboxone.
    Both of these miracle medications have done wonders for me.
    The have both literally saved my life.
    I know that it doesn’t do any good to dwell in the past, but that still doesn’t stop me from wondering what my life would be like if I would have stayed on Methadone.
    I wanted to share this with all of you. I know that some of you are on Methadone, some of you are on Suboxone.
    Some of you on Suboxone might wonder what would it be like if you were on Methadone instead and vise versa.
    With any medication they both have pro’s and con’s.
    These are some of my pro’s and con’s .

Suboxone Pro’s;
    I can now get my medication from a regular doctor so that I don’t have to dose every day.
  • I can miss a day and not go through withdrawal
  • I am more alert
  • It doesn’t make me nauseated
  • am still in recovery

Suboxone Con’s;
  • It cost too much ( unless insurance pays for it)
  • I still have pain
  • I don’t have as much energy
  • I tend to procrastinate more
  • I become more irratable at the end of the day.

Methadone Pro’s;
  • I no longer have any pain
  • Still in recovery
  • I have no pain
  • I wake up more alert
  • I get things done easier
  • I don’t procrastinate as often

Methadone Con’s;
  • I have to dose every day
  • I go into withdrawal if I miss a dose
  • I have to have the money every day for my dose
  • I have trouble staying awake later in the day
  • If I move out of the area, I have to make sure that there is a Clinic within distance of where I live, or I won’t be able to dose.
Now for the Question of the day;

What are the Pro's and Con's of your medication?
I listed both for mine to be fair, as I have been on both of them.
Take your time. It is a lot to think about.

Have a great Saturday,
Yours,
Dee

Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone/ Methadone   Suboxone/ Methadone EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 1:58 am

Hi Everybody, All I can think of is all the pro's of suboxone since I never took methadone. My quailty of life has improved greatly. I have no side affects from the suboxone. The only con would be the suboxone and aftercare can be expensive if you don't have insurance. Cathy
Back to top Go down
Mez

Mez

Female
Number of posts : 63
Humor : it's coming back.
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone/ Methadone   Suboxone/ Methadone EmptyTue 10 Feb 2009, 5:16 am

PROS AND CONS OF SUBOXONE FOR MEZ.

PROS

It takes my mind off using.
My actions and thinking are less disorganised.
It is a good reminder, every day, that I need to be aware of my addiction.
It has helped me improve my relationships with my husband.
I am able to function in society.
I was able to meet other likeminded people and care about them.
Suboxone has helped me to open my heart and mind again.

CONS

I have to pay for it.
I still have to go to the chemist four times a week to pick it up.
There is a stigma about being on it, if people don't understand.
It's medication.
I get headaches from it sometimes.
I have terrible nightmares if I go longer than a day without it.
Having to go to the Doctors once a month to get my script.

Although I have given 7 pros and 7 cons, the pros definately outweigh my cons.
I didn't mind paying for my drugs and the sub costs nowhere near what I was spending on them. The chemist is only around the corner and the Doc is a nice bloke - so it gets me out of the house. I always remind myself of the old saying -
those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind.
If I had diabetes I wouldn't hesitate taking insulin forever. For me, addiction is a disease and this treatment works for me. I can always get over headaches and nightmares. There is always room for improvement in my lifestyle. I need to exercise, watch less T.V and eat more fruit and vegies.

Good topic Dee. I hope others join in. Thanks for sharing Cathy.

Cheers. Mez.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Pros And Cons of Methadone   Suboxone/ Methadone EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 12:11 am

Suboxone/ Methadone Avatar10

Hello, Everyone!
I have never tried Suboxone but I did listen to enough of your reports about what a wonderful medication it was that it made me want to construct a website to let others know all about it. I certainly have seen the interest and the lives it has changed and made a difference in and I am glad I could be a part of your recovery.
Suboxone did not exist when I needed medication to help me. We only had three methadone maintenance treatment programs in the state of Georgia. I was a Pharmacist but I didn't know much about methadone because we never dispensed it. I did enter orders for the medication when I worked at Emory University Hospital Pharmacy but it was for the heroin addicts. Not me. I wasn't one of them and I never even thought it might help me. I still had three surgeries left to go and many more years on pain medication before I seen I was no better than they were.
I tried Inpatient Rehabilitation more than once and it just didn't work for me. I did have legitimate pain and I needed to take medication for it. I had developed such a high tolerance by then and the medication just no longer seemed to work for me. Then I heard about methadone from a patient and when I was released I started trying to locate one of their programs. Luckily, I lived in Atlanta because all three of them was in Atlanta. I made the appointment and off I went. I knew the first day I went it would work for me. It changed my whole life and career. I thank God I found it and for the people who discovered it. I could write much more but I have an early morining appointment for a Peak and Trough.
Methadone Saved My Life!
1. Methadone stopped my drug cravings.
2. Methadone stopped my withdrawal symptoms.
3. I no longer had a one track mind of how I was going to get enough for today and I was able to think about other things important to me.
4. Methadone made me feel normal.
5. Methadone stopped my depression.
6. Methadone gave me energy.
7. Methadone stopped my pain.
8. Methadone gave me my life back.
Methadone made me a prisoner of Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs.
1. I had to go every day for three months to dose. You had to gradually earn your take-homes-they weren't considered a privilege. If you relapsed then you would have to start back coming every day. They punished you if you had a relapse. I totally disagree with the concept. Research has proved Addiction is a Disease. They would not think of holding back a Diabetic's insulin. What if she ate too much of the wrong foods? I don't believe they would say," You didn't stick to the diet we gave you therefore we are going to with-hold your insulin. It is no different because their pancreas doesn't make enough insulin therefore we have to give them exogenous insulin to make up for the deficiency. If you have a problem with substance-abuse there is genetics involved just like Diabetes. If you take opiates for long period of time then it can really stop endorphin production altogether. You need the endorphins released for they are responsible for all the good feelings and to help relieve pain. If your body is no longer producing them -then you will be more sensitive to pain than others. I can tell you all the counseling and abstinence you can produce will not make your body start producing them again. You will always have to take exogenous (outside the body) opioids because you have endogenous (within the body) deficiency. They don't seem to acknowledge this in Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs.
2. You have to take drug tests every month. Many have gone back to observed urines. I don't really mind these but it doesn't make you feel good about yourself. It is saying the same as punishing you when you relapse-we don't believe it is a disease. Would they give a Diabetic a drug screen?
3. Most of the Medical Doctors at Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs are really not educated about methadone, nor Addiction, especially "Addiction As A Disease." They are not compassionate and tend to see us only as junkies looking for a fix. I believe they have been given too much power over one's dose. They are not God but humans as we are and I believe there should be a way to disagree without having them retaliate against you. They know you need your dose and they wield alot of power over you. Power corrupts!
4. There are many who work at Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs as counselors, nurses, and even receptionists who I feel should never be employed to work with substance abuse. They are not educated about methadone and many believe it is substituting one drug for another. Many do not believe it is a disease and they treat us accordingly. They should not be treating us when they have these beliefs because I feel as if it does harm the patients. They can't identify with what we have been through and I would prefer counselors in recovery if possible. If they can't provide counselors with experience then at least provide ones possessing empathy and belief in the medication they are giving.
5. Many people employed at Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs get off on power trips. They get off on the power they wield over you and the only way some of them can feel good about themselves is to make us feel bad about ourselves. I must say we deal with people like this no matter where we go in the world today but there it is different because what they say about us counts and can make the difference in whether we receive and increase or take-homes.
I want to end by saying there are but a few good Methadone Maintenance Treatment Programs but they are some. We do have some good Medical Doctors, Nurses and Counselors at some of them. I have met them and I know they exist but after all the complaints I received today after opening up e-mails, I can say many patients attending them would totally disagree with me. Power corrupts just as "Money is the root of all evil."
Pardon me. "It is the love of money is the root of all evil!"
Thank You.
We can all ask questions so if any of the patients have any they would like to have people respond to then jump right in. It's agreat way to find out what you believe and hear others viewpoints at the same time. How about participating? It's called "Group Therapy." You get to choose what to talk about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SuboxoneAssistedTreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone/ Methadone   Suboxone/ Methadone Empty

Back to top Go down

Suboxone/ Methadone
Page 1 of 1