Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sammy

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?   Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? EmptySat 07 Feb 2009, 1:16 pm

Hi Everyone
First I like to say I'm really glad to be part of this family, it's nice to know I have nice people that I can relate to and who are friends, that don't judge me, but comfort me. I'm asking if anyone has gone from methadone to Suboxone, Reason why is because right now my husband is coming down from methadone and then going on suboxone, hopefully his medicare will cover the suboxone. because I have heard it is very expensive. I'm on methadone but in the future I would like to get off of the methadone, My husband and I have been on methadone for 3 year's, Honestly I am scared to come off methadone because I have heard a lot of horrible withdrall storie's, I'm asking if anyone had any expereance being on methadone and coming off and if so how was it for you coming off of the methadone? Also if you like to share anything about being on suboxone I would greatly appresiate it very much. In the long run I want to get my life back were I don't have to rely on methadone, And I guess I need some assurance, I know there are some people that have done it, But I don't know what or if any symtom's they may have had. Once again If anyone has any answer's or can share there expereance being on suboxone or coming off methadone I would grately appresiate it very much. Have a great day. Hugs Sincerely Sammy.
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?   Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? EmptySat 07 Feb 2009, 7:23 pm

Hi Sammy,

I'll relate what little I know and sure Dee could help you so much more. The withdrawals are like any other. You are sick for a while, you take your Suboxone under your doctors' care and he will get you regulated until you are comfortable. You are a strong woman and I know you will be okay.

I'll be back with you as soon as I can. Got to go for now.

Love, Barbara
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?   Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? EmptySat 07 Feb 2009, 10:00 pm

Hi Sammy,

It might be a good idea to call Medicare to see if they cover Suboxone. There are other alternatives you can use. 1. You can try to find a Suboxone approved doctor to see if he has his three patients he's allowed to take on pro bono (free.) 2. You can apply to the makers of Suboxone for their patient assistance program.

As far as withdrawal from Methadone, you could follow Patricks' lead and do as he while he is tapering from Methadone. I honestly don't know much about Methadone. I've taken a few here and there, but never steadily.

Dee is at the hospital with her husband right now having him check out with a bout of the flu. Dee can tell you a lot more cause she was on Methadone for some years and switched to Suboxone. I'm sure Dee will respond to you when she sees you need help with this.

Just stay into today and don't worry about what you are going to do months from now. You might want to save some money aside in case you will need extra cash. You are okay for today. I'll do some research and get back with you.

I can support you in all you do and pray for your guildance.

Your friend,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?   Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 3:44 pm

Hi Sammy,
This is Dee.
Barbara has made a very good suggestion to you about calling Medicare and finding out if they will cover the Suboxone. As we all know Suboxone is very expensive. It is a great medication, but still so expensive.
Your second option, she mentioned as well, please get in touch with who ever it is that will be your husbands Suboxone provider and see if they do participate in the Patience Assistance Program. If they do, find out if they have reached theri limit on how many patients they can have on the program.
If they do not participate in the program, find out if they are interested.
If they don't participate and are interested, this is where you will need to help educate them. You can go to our web site and get the information that you need for the program. You can also get the phone number for the Nurse help phone line for the manufacturer of Suboxone Reckitt Benkiser, I will give you a list of the links and the phone number at the end of this post.
Now to answer your question the best that I can about my experience of the switch.
Mine is a story of ignorance, and I want to share it with you, because I don't want anyone to go through what I did, when you don't have to.

I was on a low dose of Methadone to begin with. I never got any higher than 70mg. When I left my clinic I was at 40 mg. When I started Suboxone I had been off of Methadon for one month. ( but back to using off and on )
At that time I still had some of the withdrawal symptoms. Mainly the cravings and weakness all of the time.
I don't recomend that anyone do it the way that I did. I only did it because I had no choice.
I left Alabama with a one month supply of Methadone.
I thought I was going to go to another Methadone clinic, but I did not do my research first. I believed my counselor when she said I was on the waiting list, I never checked it out. I was not on the list.
So there I was, no Methadone and no where to go.
I had heard of Suboxone, but I had no idea how to go about getting on it. I thought I could walk into any doctors office and tell them that I wanted on it, and bang that was it.
I was wrong.
I went to the emergency room and told them about my situation, they gave me one dose of Methadone, and told me not to come back. They don't dispense Methadone.
I tried for 3 weeks to get into a residential treatment program so that I could get on something to help me.
I finally found a place that would take me.
They started me out on Subutex, I took it for four days. Then I was weaned off.
I had found a Suboxone provider that would take me, but the appointment was not for another month, I was having cravings like crazy so I decided to stay in residential treatment until my appointment with her.
I knew that if I went back home the way that I was feeling I would use.
So I stayed.
Finally three days before my appointment she confirmed my appointment with her to the treatment facility I was at.
They gave me a prescription for Suboxone to get me through the weekend and discharged me.
I saw my provider on Monday.
She put me on 8mg and I went back one week later, she gave me 8mg more per day.
I have been on 16mg for almost 3 years now. I see her every two months.

I know that doesn't answer your question about the withdrawals form Methadone,
My first day wasn't too bad, just some irratability.
My second day, I was irratable, my body ached, and I felt like my arms and legs had pin pricks, if I touched them it would get worse, I couldn't sleep, I had restless legs really bad.
Day three, I bought 3 20mg oxycontin, I couldn't take it anymore.
Until I went into residential treatment I would use the oxycontin almost every other day to see me through.

If I would have been smart, if I would have educated myself, none of this had to happen.
You are going into it with your eyes wide open.

As long as you follow your doctors advise, and do what he says to do. You should not have any problems.
Your husband needs to be in mild to moderate withdrawal when he goes to his first appointment.
I think the longer he can go, the better for him.
Remember that we will be here for you. "There is nothing that you can't do, if you put your mind to it."
The links are at the bottome of the post. If you or your husband have any questions for me and you don't want to post them, you can pm me. Anytime. And you have my email address.
Always,
Dee

Patience Assistance Program information:

http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org/84.html

Nurse phone line at Reckitt Benkiser:
nurse 9am to 7pm Monday thru Friday closed on holidays at 1-877-782-6766

Our Websites;

http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org/

http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org/

Our phone numbers:
Phone: 770-428.0871 (office )
770.527.9119 (Cell)

Both Deborah and dean are there to answer your calls.
They are both great people and will not hesitate to help you if you need it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?   Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone?
Page 1 of 1