Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question about how to take the sub!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Question about how to take the sub! Empty
PostSubject: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 9:29 am

I heard you're not supposed to smoke for at least an hour before or after you dose, but then I heard a half hour! And I heard you can't drink anything but water a half hour before or after. Is it different for the strips than the pills?
I'm on the strips by the way in case you didn't know. Pretty sure you ladies already did!

Anyways if I am not supposed to smoke an hour before or after ten I screwed up when taking my sub a lot! And I really screwed up if you're not supposed to drink anything before or after for half hour either! Also I find it almost completely impossible to not swallow any of it at all until it is completely dissolved!

It was ways seems that tiny amounts are running down my throat. Very tiny amounts. But still, if you're not supposed to swallow at all is me swallowing those little amounts going to effect the way it works? Well I mean make it less effective..

Also I have a horrible problem with the Suboxone strip getting stuck to my teeth. And on those days I can definitely tell a difference! Or maybe it's in my head. How coul I tell the difference so soon when Suboxone has such a long half life? Could I? Do you think it getting stuck to my teeth effects how much of the dose we actually get?

When I first started I was on the sublingual tablets and when I was in the hospital I was on the tablets as well.. (it was all the hospital pharmacy had) They might taste a little worse and take a bit longer to dissolve, but I think it's worth not having them stick to your teeth and possibly wasting part of your dose. But I guess we will all be stuck with the strips soon anyways.

Anyways my the point of this post is to find out the correct way about taking your sub. And if anybody had any tips as to how to not get it stuck to your teeth I'd much appreciate it! And Blue Eyes probably would too because I know she mentioned to me before her having a problem with it sometimes sticking to her teeth!

Hope you can answer some of my questions (Dee) Lol. Smile
I am sure you can.

And other people, I hope you can answer the ones Dee can't. If there's any that she can't lol.

Have a blessed day!

Much love. I love you - Jasmine
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

Hey Jasmine,
Good to see your back and I do hope you are doing better. You did put a scare into us.

When I first started reading about Suboxone back in 2006, I read a lot and I mean a lot of stuff. Over the years though, I've learned by more reading, listening and trial and error as to what to do or not to do as far as subs are concerned. Hate the word Bupe though.

This is just my opinion as to the difference between the pills and strips. I just recently switched over from pills and have to admit I like the strips much better.
They (the strips) dissolve faster for me which means I get more benefit from them. With the tablets, even though they say they only take a few minutes to dissolve that is not true. 10 minutes min and sometimes 20. With the strips, it is within 5 minutes.

Smoking: Nicotine restricts the blood vessels or capillaries in which the Suboxone is absorbed. Constriction of those capillaries can prevent or slow the absorption of Suboxone. In earlier days I was taught that Suboxone was absorbed through the big veins under the tongue when it is actually the blood vessels or capillary's.
The difference between blood vessels and capillary?

Capillaries are tiny blood vessels that pass blood from the arteries into the veins.
Their walls are thin which allows materials to pass into them.

We had a member awhile back who said that if you drink something hot or hold hot water in your mouth before dosing it can help open up those capillaries. If you don't want to drink something hot, take a hot washcloth and place it in your mouth or under your tongue before dosing for a few minutes.

Cravings versus urges. There is a difference:
Craving:
Powerful desire for a substance that cannot be ignored. Unnaturally strong desire/urge for a substance. An overpowering urge that people are ill-equipped to control through will. Usually it cannot be suppressed indefinitely and results in taking the substance. Cravings are a symptom of the abnormal brain adaptations of addiction.
Craving (formerly called psychological dependence ) is an intense desire to re-experience the effects of a psychoactive substance. Craving is the cause of relapse after long periods of abstinence

Urges:
Unlike cravings, urges can usually be suppressed by willpower. Urges are less powerful than cravings. Urges are often passing and temporary. Cognitive skills can be learned to effectively suppress urges. Urges can usually be traced back to a source like stress, depression, anxiety, etc. which provides motivation for the escape or comfort of the substance, while cravings may have no external source and the person may have no idea why they are craving and may actually not want to take the drug at all.

I honestly don't know what to tell you about the Suboxone getting stuck to your teeth. I don't have that problem. Being the ripe old age that I am, Smile I don't have any. Well, yeah I do but can take them out when I dose. Can you try to cut the strip in half and place a half under each side? That way it is a smaller piece to deal with at a time.
Try this, cut it in half, place it under your tongue and then kind of cup your tongue up while gently closing your mouth, don't close it all of the way if you can't. Just enough so that your not standing there with it wide open.

Also take it when you are in a room by yourself such as a bathroom or even in the shower. That way if you are in the shower you won't be tempted to talk to anyone nor anyone to you. Smile

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Thank you for carin about me being in the hospital, didnt mean to scare you guys! Sad

Thank you for answering my questions Dee! That's one of the reasons we love you, you almost always have all the answers and if you don't you find them for us, besides the fact that you're kind and sweet and give great advice and are very supportive. We love you for those reasons too! I love you

Anyways yes I do like the fact that the strips dissolve better, I just don't like how they get stuck to my teeth! I like that the pills don't stick to my teeth but dislike it take 20 minutes for the damn things to dissolve!

About the swallowing a bit of it as it dissolves? You didn't answer that part of my question. Sorry I did post a long one there! There's no way you could have remember as answered every question that I had asked! Lol.

I'm definitely not having cravings. Urges maybe, but usually only when I get depressed, which is economy increasingly often.

Have you heard anything about suboxone ring linked to weight gain? I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause weight gain, but I figured I'd ask the expert. Smile

Last edited by HappilyJasmine on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 11:05 am

I'm no expert and can only go on my own experience or what I've learn from other patients.
And I love each and every one of you. The whole reason I stay here is because of you guys. Believe that with all of your heart.
When I was trying to find treatment after stopping Methadone, I was lost and could not find anyone to help me or answer my questions.
Any questions I might have go straight to my counselor or provider. They have both been a godsend to me.

When I was taking the tablets, I didn't spit out the remainder. I did swallow it. There is no way around it. It is natural when something is dissolving in your mouth, it is going to create saliva and your natural instinct is going to be to swallow it. That or spit it out. It is such a small amount that I haven't found it to hurt me to swallow.
I think, if you have had it in your mouth for at least 10-15 minutes, you should be okay.

Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 11:13 am

You're an expert at caring! And an expert at giving advice! And an expert at being supportive! I love you I love the work that you do Dee! Thank you for beig here! I am proud to be a part of this forum! And I am proud to say that you guys are my support system and I wouldn't have it any other way! I love you Thank you for beig here Dee!!

Anyways I was only on the tablets because I was in the hospital and it was all the hospital had, now that I'm out I'm back on the strips. And I definitely swallow the tiny bit, never spit it out 'cause then I feel like I wasting my suboxone!
I don't like get a stomach ache from swallowing it or anything as I always swallow the teeny bit that is left over after it is dissolved.

So to be safe you're supposed to wait half am hour after dosing before to smoke or drink anything? I got the before part, but didn't catch the after lol.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Dee!
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

Hey Jasmine,

Dee said was I was going to say.
I wake up in the morning and wait about 45 min. then I cut my Sub strip in half, I dose looking in the mirror ( I had the same issue with it sometimes sticking in teeth) and placing it under
my tongue. Once you drop it in your mouth, under your tongue, dont try and pick it up again or move it. it's stuck once it gets moist.

Wait, 30 min before and AFTER eating or drinking or smoking anything !!!
For maximum dosage !!

Hope that helps cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 9:09 pm

Thanks Blue! and Dee!
I cut it in half and placed one half on each side and haven't had a problem with it sticking to my teeth since!

Much love.. I love you - Jasmine
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

I wanted to add that I'm proud of you for dosing once a day !
That's something I still haven't gotten back into doing.

Way to go girl !!! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Thanks Blue! It means a lot that you are proud of me!

You will be dosing once a day in no time!
I know you can do it Blue!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about how to take the sub!   Question about how to take the sub! Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about how to take the sub!
Page 1 of 1