Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? Empty
PostSubject: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySat 24 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? Yellow13

Hi everyone,
Some people start taking Suboxone because of the fear of withdrawal.
Some people start Suboxone due to the anxiety that comes along with stopping opiates and some because no matter how hard they have tried in the past to stop and have actually succeeded many times in stopping they cannot seem to get a handle on the cravings that stopping opiates leave behind.

I'm sure there are many more reasons that I haven't listed.
Take a long hard look at your reasons for taking Suboxone. If you would please share it with us. There is no right or wrong reason.

what led me to taking a medication to help me manage my addiction was the anxiety that always seem to surface every time that I stopped using. The cravings played a big part in my decision as well.
I have been in treatment more times that I can count or remember. The longest time that I have actually been in recovery before now had been 2 years. At first it was hard, it always is. But then it became a little easier to bear. Somewhere along the line the cravings start to set in.
Once that happens it isn't long before I tell myself that I can use in moderation and will be okay. A little bit here & there every now and then but before I knew it I would be down that long dark road once again.
This last time I went into a detox facility for five days. It was only five days because that is all my insurance company would allow. Once I was out, I knew better than to try and do it my way so I went on Methadone. I stayed on Methadone for four years as most of you already know. During those four years I was able to go back to work and my life was starting to turn towards something I was proud of.
To be honest though, I really didn't feel like I was in recovery, not because I was taking Methadone but because I wasn't going to any counseling, groups or anything else outside of the drive to the clinic everyday.
My day consisted of going to the clinic, work and going back home. That was it.
When I moved back up here to Vermont, Methadone wasn't an option for me. Some states have an abundance of access to Methadone and some to Suboxone. Vermont is one of those States where Suboxone is preferred.
I have now been taking Suboxone going on four years, since starting Suboxone I have started counseling, and have actually worked my recovery. I know there will one day come a time where I will feel ready to stop taking this medication and when I do, I will have the resources I've never really had before and for that I am grateful. I still have a ways to go before i am ready to stop taking Suboxone but when I do, I have faith that I will be okay. It is hard for me to explain but things are different now. Not only have I changed the lifestyle that I now lead but I have learned to be more conscious of the people I associate with. I know it won't be easy. But I have confidence that I can make it.
Please let us hear from you, "What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 5:14 pm

The reason why I decided to add Suboxone to my recovery this time around was because like Dee I would have some clean time and that wouldn't last very long.
I have even tried Naloxone for four months. It did not work. I would just planned the day that I would used and stop taking the Naloxone for a few days.

I did go into detox and stayed cleaned for a few months than back to using. In August of 2008 I started Suboxone along with aftercare. For the first time in my adult life I have not relasped. Thank God! My life is so much better even though I had to change friends and places and things. Thanks to this forum for helping me to stay on course. I am so grateful.

Cathy What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? Herz
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 9:42 pm

Cathy,
I have a question if you don't mind. I have often wondered about Naloxone. They say that if you take it you have no cravings. Is that really true or do you have the same cravings you would normally have?
I hope you don't mind my asking.
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 12:55 am

Hi Dee, I don't mind at all you asking me questions.

My doctor told me if I took it long enough it would cut my cravings. I still had cravings after 4 months of taking it. I did have to think twice about using though and I had to plan when I was going to use. It was a great blocker.

I heard now you can have Naloxone implanted into you so it would be impossible to use. I should do more research on that. Some Doctors make you come in and dose a few times a week. I just had an RX for them and took them daily at home.

Cathy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 2:46 am

I decided to use suboxone as a part of my recovery because I couldn't stay sober long enough to learn the proper tools to deal with my issues and work on myself without relapsing. When I heard about this wonderdrug, Suboxone, that could stop your cravings, withdrawals and you'd still be sober! While you had time to work on yourself sounded just amazing to me! I couldn't stay sober more than a short period of time and had absolutely no time to prepare myself to deal with the baggage and crud that active addiction leaves behind! But when I reaearched suboxone it seems to be exactly what I needed. A tool to help me stay sober while I work on myself and solve my problems, like why I got addicted in the first place. It really is my wonder drug. I have now been on it for almost 6 months and have learned so much about myself and my recovery!
Back to top Go down
Vision821

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 12:13 am

The reason I started taking suboxone was because of an opiate problem obviously. Figuring out how to say this properly, I remember my friend first gave me suboxone illegally and said it will stop you from being sick and I wasn't sure if he was trying to rip me off, even though he was a really good friend. It worked. Then I didn't come across them for quite awhile after that. Eventually, when I did, and I could get them on a daily basis when I needed, I switched from oxy/roxy to suboxone, and although I still needed to come out with the money for suboxone sometimes (im fine now) it was STILL a much easier life than true opiates. In time, and I don't know how, I started to find myself a lot more happier on the suboxone and I'm still not sure why until this day.
A lot of people state that suboxone isn't as strong as a true opiate, and I'm sure that is true, but it doesn't seem as strong to me as suboxone does, but I think I do have somewhat of a point here. When I take suboxone I feel fine, at peace with myself, but if I did slip up and do roxy/oxy (i haven't messed up in over a year, maybe even 2!) i found myself feeling the drug, but not increased seretonin when I was happy but just guilt mixed with a somewhat "strange" feeling...a "strange" feeling I felt I didn't want anymore. Suboxone and oxy/roxy feel different, suboxone just feels more naturally right to me and I wouldn't even want a roxy/oxy for some reason....UNLESS...wait for it...wait for it.....Unless, I was sick and had no way to obtain suboxone.

Oh, just to throw in a jewel here. I realized this site is great for seeing your emotions and thoughts how you progress, I even got to see my exact message when I went to a doctor to get suboxone legally, and the beginning of a much better life, and it's very interesting. I know some on suboxone, after awhile start to feel not content for whatever reason, if this is the case, maybe you should quit? I do pretty decent, although I have run out a little early, and that shows me very quickly that the time I'm on suboxone and a little festered up that I should be greatful because so many people are probably so dope sick right now. Be greatful.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
livelovelaugh

livelovelaugh

Female
Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 10:52 am

I was an opiate addict on & off since I was 19. I was consistantly taking pain pills for 3 years in my early 20's yet managed to wean myself off. Then I used whenever my boyfriend would get his oxycontin refilled monthly. We would go through 120 - 40mg oxy's in 2 to 3 weeks. Then we would purposely go through withdrawal that only lasted a day & go without until his next refill. We did this for a couple of years until I left him. Then I was opiate free for a few years. I had my son, I got married, I started a business. I opened a discount retail store but because it was such a small business, I didn't have many employees. So, when an elderly woman came in to purchase a large outdoor trampoline it was either her or me who had to lift it (weighing 250lbs)with her grandson into his truck. I hurt myself, I have 4 herniated discs & they got worse that day. I went to my doctor & he prescribed Vicodin. Then over the next 4 years I increased to 5mg oxycodone yet was getting more from "so called" friends. I increased to 180mg oxycodone a day (5-30mg pills) Feeling like I was in a cloud & hating the way I felt, I knew I had to stop. But I couldn't. I tried a number of times & obviously failed. The cravings were too strong. I started reading about options online. As a mother & a business owner, I couldn't go in to a 30 day rehab facility. I didn't want methadone I knew people who were on it & it didn't seem right for me. I was scared of suboxone, but after reading so much about it & other options, I felt it was the best one for me. I needed something that was going to allow me to continue with the constant demands in my life while in recovery. My mind was made up to try suboxone once I joined this site. I instantly received the support & encouragement I needed not to mention the information to help get me started. If you read my first post, I was still using, but trying to get the ball rolling on my recovery. I hit a few bumps in the road & was actually turned away from a sub clinic because I didn't have "addicted behaviors". But Dee & Blue helped with information on how to find a sub Dr. I ended up in a hospital for a 5 day detox (best thing I ever did) they were able to give me meds to help keep me comfortable while I was on a Suboxone taper from 8mg to 2mg. when I left they gave me a script for 2mg a day until I found a sub clininc. It was Dee who sent me the link that connected me with my current Dr & therapist. I drive 45 to see the Dr every other Monday & I see my therapist every Thursday. I am very happy with the care I am receiving. I am still running my business, but with a clearer head. I am now down to 5mg of suboxone a day & I take 10mg of Lexapro (anit-depressant) which has helped me tremendously. That mixed with the wonderful people on this site, a few close friends & my husband...I feel as strong as ever.
I wish good luck to all & hope they find the comfort they need as I did in their recovery
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 10 Feb 2013, 8:27 am

Rae, It's amazing how our stories are all so similar.
I first began using pain pills 10 years ago. I would get them from a "friend"
because I had back pain. When I finally got to the doctor to get my own script, I was
already on my way to a raging addiction.
I went from taking vicodens every weekend to every day. From taking them just in the afternoons while at work, to having to take them when I woke up.
It's all very quick. At least it feels that way looking back.
My back pain continued and so did the doctor visits and the prescriptions.
I would go throuh 150 pain pills in a week and a half. I would always have those "so called" friends to get me by until my next script. At one point I had 4-5 people I could call.
If one "guy" didn't have, I'd call the next "guy" - who ever came through first is who'd I
buy from. It became my full time job. I cared about nothing but getting pills.
By the time I had back surgery I was addicted. After the surgery, I went from vicodens to Opanas to Roxies...on and on, stronger and stronger, more and more.
By the last year that I was on them (2011) I would take so many pills (even during work) that I was throwing up in the bathroom, my stomach was a mess. I was getting sick not only when I ran out of pills but when I had them. I would take 10 pills at a pop.
When I discovered Opanas, I would snort them. My sick addict brain thought that would be
better since I'd give my stomach a break. How the hell did I do my job ? How the hell did I come home and take care of my kids or my home??
I guess, I didn't . I just thought I was doing it. Don't know how I still have my job after all that.
I have my thread here explaining how what was it that made me start taking suboxone, after I stole money from my husband. $200. And finally being confronted and told if I didn't get help I'd suffer the consequences.
I went to my provider on Dec 30, 2011 and induced at home on New Years Eve 2011.
I remember just feeling normal.
I felt like I did before I did pills.
Here it is 13 months later and I'm down to 6mg per day (I started at 16mg) and I am feeling more and more like my old self.
I am finally thinking about being medication free. Just thinking. I'm not ready to jump just yet. But I'm getting there.
Rae, I'm so proud of you ! You got down to 5mg !!
I know Jaz told me she's down to 7mg I think she said.

The best part of my recovery is having this support system here on this forum.
The ladies I have met have truly helped me along the way.

I hope someone reading this will decide to take the steps to get off pain pills.
There is a life that your missing, you might not think so now. You might think you can't
live without those pills. But you can. And life is amazing.
The high that your chasing, well, it keeps getting further and further from your reach. Stop chasing !

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 10 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

Rae. Blue. I don't know what to say, just that WOW our stories are so similar! You're right Blue! Stop chasing that high! It does te further and further away!

I decided to quit mainly for my son, I was chewing 15 vikes at a time and chewing 100mcg/he fentanyl patches! I decided I couldn't properly take care d my son on them and I was better off without them. I realized it wasn't just my life I was ruining. I was ruining my sons life too!

I am proud of both of you Ladies!
Blue and Rae, you've both come a very long way and I am so proud of you!
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyMon 11 Feb 2013, 7:55 pm

I appreciate the encouragement Jasmine !

I am very proud of you too !

I hope your back is feeling better now.
I felt so bad for you today.

bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyThu 14 Feb 2013, 12:35 pm

I will always encourage you Blue!!!

My back is feeling much better! We got the new bed replaced with one that was more like te old one. We got a tempurpedic! LOL. One I then memory foam ones! Haha. I am so happy to sleep on that thing!

Love and miss you Blue!
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptyThu 14 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

I love you Awesome about your bed ! I love you

Miss ya and love you too ! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySat 16 Feb 2013, 12:00 am

I miss you and love you too Blue!
Sorry about missing chat last night! I didn't get your email saying that you'd pop in. Sad
Back to top Go down
livelovelaugh

livelovelaugh

Female
Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySat 16 Feb 2013, 8:24 am

Blue, I just wanted to let you know just like Jaz said I inspired her, you were the one who inspired me. Well, Dee & everyone as well, but I was mostly reading your posts when I decided to join this forum. I wanted to meet the woman I've learned so much about. I think of you often & I hope you are doing well. I'm sorry I haven't been at chat the last 2 Tuesdays & I'm sorry for not being around much this last week. I had an ill employee & since I am already short staffed, I was the one who had to cover for him, so I've been working 12 hour days.
We seem to have a lot in common (all of us) I believe that "The Law of Attraction" has played a role in bringing us all together. We are here to enrich one another's lives. To give what we've been wanting to share with people who will understand & receive what we are offering. You have a way of making me (us) feel special & good about ourselves. I thank you for that.
Enjoy your weekend & I will be at chat on Tuesday unless another issue arises. But it won't, I am saying daily, "I will be at chat on Tuesday" I know I will, so because I said so...it will have to be Smile

See you Tuesday!!
LOVE & HUGS!
-Rae
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 17 Feb 2013, 8:16 am

Rae,

Your words have touched me deeply. That was so sweet, Thank you ! I love you from my heart.

I just wrote a comment on another thread to you. You had said something about hoping it was ok that you always give us advice, or something to that effect.

I LOVE the advice you give us. Like you said, we have been brought together by a higher power. We are here for a reason. We enrich each other's lives.

I, for one, am so grateful for all of you. I think, together, we can be amazing. The bond
we have made is strong. We can do this ! We can come out ahead. To a better place then we can even imagine. I can feel it. Wink

That chat night we shared a few weeks back (the dove??) It brought us closer I think. Every step of the way we will be here for each other. I've learned alot from you.

I am happy to hear that I helped you in some way to seek treatment. That makes it all worth while. Smile

Don't apologize for missing chat. I do it too. I do it too. We all have responsibilities. I do hope you make time for it as you seem so overwhelmed with your store. I think it's good for you to take the time for yourself. Just trying to help you because I care. I love you

Be well

((((HUGS)))))))
Blue

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? EmptySun 17 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm

[color=darkblue]

I love you both!!
Thank you booth for being here!
You are both my inspiration!
I do believe a higher power brought us together. Like Rae said the law of attractionn had a part inn us coming together!
I am so proud to know you both! And for you to be a part of my recovry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?   What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone? Empty

Back to top Go down

What was it that made you decide to start taking Suboxone?
Page 1 of 1