Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kukaro give it a try

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Kukaro give it a try Empty
PostSubject: Kukaro give it a try   Kukaro give it a try EmptyMon 02 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

Question Today's thought from Hazelden for July 2, 2012 is:

In Micronesian, there's a word, kukaro, which has no corresponding word in English. When people say they are going to kukaro, they mean they are going to relax, sit around, and hang out. They are being, not doing.
--Eli and Beth Halpern

As children, our best times are often trips to an amusement park, fishing at the lake, camping, or just sitting idly under a tree. These make the best memories, and times sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows or having a root beer after a family outing seem to bring out the love we share.

We don't seem to be accomplishing anything at these times. No chores are getting done around the house, no schoolwork, no repairs, and no moneymaking.

But these times of peace, relaxation, and a sense of endless time of being, not doing, may be essential to our ability to get other things done later. Certainly we are most receptive to our feelings, new ideas, and unplanned adventures at these moments. Maybe we should add kukaro to our vocabulary.

What timeless thing can I do today?
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Kukaro give it a try   Kukaro give it a try EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 9:03 pm

I never thought I'd have a hard time in sitting around doing nothing but it's one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do or not do. I always seem to find myself jumping up to do something that I haven't gotten to yet.
With my son just starting work and my other half at work as well, the evenings have become mine so I am going to put more effort into just being.
It does feel good to sit and watch the birds or sit on the porch and watch the leaves on the trees when the wind catches them.
Thanks Monica for reminding me that it's okay to not be busy every waking hour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Kukaro give it a try   Kukaro give it a try EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

I know what you mean. When I was using, it wasn't a problem to be still, but now that I'm in recovery I can't seem to just be either. I always seem to find some reason I need to do something to avoid just being. I think maybe it's because I tend to start to dwell on the past and other unpleasant things if I'm not busy. My counselor says to watch out for spending too much time alone in my head cause it's a dangerous neighborhood, but I know that I need to work on being able to be idle and not get lost in that bad neighborhood if you know what I mean. I guess this is something else I'm going to have to be patient with, I hope that in time I will be able to be completely comfortable just being, but for now I try not to hang out too much in my own thoughts. Part of the problem is my ocd cause once something crosses my mind I can't let it go. I'm working really hard on techniques to redirect my thoughts to more happy places and it seems to be helping. At least I can stand to be alone with my thoughts for more than 10 minutes now and there are some happy thoughts now too. It's weird, in my using, the neighborhood in my mind was darker and more dangerous but I was too numb to be worried about it.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyP610

JohnnyP610

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kukaro give it a try   Kukaro give it a try EmptyTue 17 Jul 2012, 11:23 am

I tell the newcomer this all the time in AA/NA meetings:

"You have to learn to become comfortable with boredom - sitting still. Afterall, boredom in respect to the chaos of your addiction = PEACE."

Boredom, could be the #1 offender in some cases as to why people relapse... they are unsatisfied with the level of "activity" in their life and they desperately search for "fun" - which leads to them going back out.

Great topic, Monica! Glad to connect on here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kukaro give it a try   Kukaro give it a try Empty

Back to top Go down

Kukaro give it a try
Page 1 of 1