Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Successful Taper Stories Please!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IrishEyes82

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-11-06

Successful Taper Stories Please! Empty
PostSubject: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! EmptyWed 09 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

Hi, I joined this website a few days ago and have already recieved some great advice from Nanamom.
I was wondering if anyone else on here completed a successful suboxone taper and if now off them completly and what it was like for them the first few days without the sub, and any advice on how to fight the cravings. I am currently on a very small dose once when I wake up and again between 4-6pm, my dose is so small that I am able to make 2 8mg pills last about 3 weeks with dosing twice a day, has anyone been able to quit on such a small dose or did you have to skip days? I cannot seem to skip days Sad
Any shared stories would be greatly appreciated, please no horror stories, I've read enough on other forums and I think what I read is why I am so afraid to quit!
Back to top Go down
grimmred

grimmred

Male
Number of posts : 17
Humor : Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! EmptyWed 09 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

Hello there; well, I have been completely done with suboxone for around two months after almost a year and a half of suboxone therapy. It looks like you are down to less than a half mg at each dose, and getting down that far is an accomplishment in itself. When I had decided that I had had enough I went from 2mg a day, to one mg for two weeks then a half mg for almost two weeks, and from there I decided that I had had enough.

It seemed that every time I stepped down it took so long to recover to a feeling of normalcy and I was sick of feeling run down. When I knew that I was going to cease suboxone, I made sure that I had the right frame of mind as well as a long weekend free of obligations to recover.

The first few days were not comfortable, but i was determined. It was nothing like withdrawals that we have all probably felt before and it was bearable, but not fun. It took three days to shake the initial withdrawals. After that, every day I felt better and better. The first couple of weeks, many days were great as many of the suppressed natural chemicals began flowing again.

My only complaints during this period were inconsistent sleepless nights. Just something you have to live with, but for me I really never slept well on suboxone anyhow. After this initial blissful period, I was feeling depressed for about a month or so. At first I just sat around feeling unmotivated and down, but I decided to not lay around any more and got active again. I joined a hiking group and go on ten to 15 mile hikes every weekend. Just getting out of the house did wonders for me. I am now feeling like my old self again after more than three years of hell that I will NEVER repeat.

In summary, suboxone probably saved my life. It is a tool, and a stepping stone to get us to where we want to go. If you feel you are ready for the next step have no fear and know that you will soon have the bulk of this portion of your life behind you with much brighter days to come.

I now look forward to many things, and have a clarity of mind that had been absent before. I am thankful that I don't have to worry about suboxone every day, and I know this year I will actually enjoy the holidays, unlike the last few years.

Mine is not a horror story, but I will say that it was a bit of a struggle at times; never with cravings though. The thought still horrifies me. I did have one dream that I used again and it so so real that i thought I had ruined everything I worked for. That was scary as hell and only reinforced the fact that I will never be that person again.

We all have endured worse things than quitting suboxone I assure you of that. Quit when you feel the time is right, and know that better days are just around the corner.
Feel free to ask me any thing.
Back to top Go down
grimmred

grimmred

Male
Number of posts : 17
Humor : Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! EmptyWed 09 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

If you look around a bit, you can find my posts that I made while going through those first couple of weeks. That might help as well.
Back to top Go down
IrishEyes82

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! EmptyThu 10 Nov 2011, 12:09 am

Thank you for sharing your story, I think that staying active is going to be what gets me through the tough days, thank you for the tip. I was also told about melatonin to help with the sleeplessness, I tried it last night and it worked wonders. Tomorrow is going to be my first day without taking suboxone, I have a whole day planned outside of the house, I just hope I can get over that initial hump of not taking it as soon as I wake up, its been like my cup of coffee for almost 2 years, I think that is going to be the toughest part.
Thanks again for your help, I am going to try and find your other posts.
Great quote btw
Back to top Go down
Hockeymick

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! EmptyMon 26 Dec 2011, 5:10 am

I would also like to thank you for ur
story.. I gives me hope! I have zero
cravings for any opiates as a six month
run last year was all I had. I made
The mistake of reading the horror stories
on other sites that were TITLED
SUBOXONE "HORROR STORIES", go
figure?? Got all worked up for Xmas
and was convinced I would be spendin
40 a month for the rest of my life
As I am getting them on the street.
Thanks dee, great site. Blessings to
All!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Successful Taper Stories Please!   Successful Taper Stories Please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Successful Taper Stories Please!
Page 1 of 1