Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

should i start tapering yet?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ircavnar666

ircavnar666

Female
Number of posts : 22
Humor : with the help of my family and friends i know i can do this.
Registration date : 2012-06-09

should i start tapering yet? Empty
PostSubject: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

ok ive been on suboxone for a little over 3 months now and im thinking of tapering within the next few months. do you think i should start this so soon? my husband wants me to come off asap but i feel like i need to do it at my own pace. my mom and her boyfriend are paying for my entire treatment because they had owed us some money. anyways i couldnt afford it without them. i talked to my dr who is a recovering addict himself so understands me. he said hes glad im thinking about it he just doesnt want me to start too soon. he thinks i need another year at least but my husband doesnt think so. i personally dont know what to do. i just know that i dont wanna be in pain anymore and i have to take care of my kids. im a stay at home mom and i cant take care of them and go through withdrawals. at least my family is happier now that im getting help. i guess i just need some advice or someone to talk to. my dr is glad i joined this website because i cant go out to meetings. im feeling better everyday but its still a struggle. im not thinking of the pills. i guess im just missing the high right now. i havent been craving but its like all of a sudden i dont know. i dont think i should taper yet. my mind is too...everywhere.
Back to top Go down
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

ircavnar,
You will know when it is time to taper, and your doctor will help you in making the determination. I'm not a dr. so the only thing that I can give you is my experience so please remember it's not a medical opinion. In my experience when to taper has a lot to do with the length of your active addiction, the substances you were using, and the issues that you need to deal with in relation to your addiction. If addiction was just a drug problem it would be easy to solve, easy to just stop taking the substance and move on. For most of us, addiction is much more than a drug problem. It is a problem that has affected every area of our lives. We are usually emotionally stunted when compared to our peers. Most of us don't have the coping skills that people without the disease of addiction have developed. What I'm trying to say is that in my experience, the physical aspect of addiction is just the tip of the ice berg. It takes time to heal physically from the damage we've done to our bodies and our brains, as continued opiate us can actually shut down parts of the brain that help us deal with pain, but it also takes a lot of time to deal with the issues that led us to begin to use drugs in the first place and usually this takes more time than the physical healing. My dr. is also a recovering addict who was treated successfully with sub and he was on it for 2 years. I have heard of people only using sub to detox, but reasearch shows that this is not very successful. I think that what your husband needs to realize is that addiction is a progressive, incurable and often deadly disease that requires management in some way for the rest of our lives or we will slip back into the old habits and old thinking and that will lead back to using. You said that you can't get out to meetings and for me the meetings I attend have been just as important to my recovery as the suboxone. Suboxone freed me from my obsession with using, meetings have allowed me to begin to deal with my issues and develop coping skills. I've been on sub this time for a little over a year. I started on a high dose and I've cut it to less than 1/3 of what i started on in the last year, but everyone is different in the speed of their recovery, just as the progression of the illness varies from person to person. Since you can't get out to meetings I would suggest being as active here as you can. Reach out as much as possible to as many people as possible. There is also a website from Rickett that has several good activities to help you with coping skills, maintaining your motivation, and improving interpersonal relationships. The web address is suboxone.com, then you click on the here to help button. You register and it really does help. Also, I will be glad to do anything I can to help you in your recovery journey, as will the other ladies here. The chats that we have on Monday and Thursday a 7:30 est are great ways to ask your questions and get feedback from people in various stages of their recovery. NA as an organization views suboxone and methadone as using, however I would recommend getting their basic text as well as any other literature you can get your hands on, because the more you understand about the process of addiction and recovery, the better off you will be. A lot of their literature is available for download at na.org and there is also a store where you can order literature there. For me information has been one of the most important tools I've used in my recovery. It helps me to understand my disease and recognize when it's rearing it's ugly head. For example, you said you're not craving the drugs but missing the high. In my opinion that sounds like you're still looking for something outside of yourself to help you deal with internal struggles related to your addiction, NA has helped me to learn to accept myself and even love myself. I will be glad to go over the steps with you and share my experience, strength, and hope (ESH) with you. Just because you can't physically attend a meeting doesn't mean you can't work the program. That's the great thing about 12 step recovery is that it is extremely adaptable, and in my opinion you get a lot of skills to help you deal with life without using.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you. I'm working on developing a 12 step group based on NA, but that recognizes maintenance medication as a valid recovery tool. I will forward you the literature as we come up with it. Until then, if you want I will work with you on the NA steps or anything else you feel like would help you in your journey. I too am a mother and I understand completely that you can't go thru white knuckle w/d and take care of your kids. We're fortunate that we have found a tool to use in suboxone to keep us from having to do that. Try to remember that pain is usually a symptom and not the actual problem, I have even come to appreciate being able to feel pain and cope with it. Your last statement that said my mind is too everywhere says to me that you probably shouldn't taper yet. What I would do is concentrate on developing skills to deal with my mind being everywhere before I started my taper. Remember we aim for progress not perfection. If your relatives don't have addiction problems, they probably don't know what you're going thru. Let them read the post here and get as much information as possible from as many places as possible to try to help them understand.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yours in the struggle,
Monica
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

Monica covered alot of ground in her response. There not much more for me to add.

What I will add is that you can't let your husband control your recovery.
In the long run you both might regret it. He needs to understand that Suboxone is a medicine that is helping to heal your brain. We've abused our bodies for years. Its not going to heal in 3 months.

I know Monica mentioned chat tonight and we have another member here thats been on Suboxone around the same amount of time as you and It would be good to compare noted with her.
I hope you can make it.

Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 7:25 pm

Monica and Blue Eyes have given you some excellent advice and I don't think that I can add very much.
Please do some research on addiction, print out what you find so that you can try help your husband understand about addiction and recovery and what it entails. There are a lot of great resources that you can check out and I would be happy to help you with it.
You have a great support family here and I know that each and everyone of these wonderful people would be more than happy to help you anytime.

When you are ready your doctor will work with you to develop a taper plan that is right for you. Him being in recovery himself he knows what you are going through. Talk to him and let him know how you feel.
Join us for chat, we are here for you
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
ircavnar666

ircavnar666

Female
Number of posts : 22
Humor : with the help of my family and friends i know i can do this.
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

thank you everyone for the advice. i dont feel ready to taper yet. i guess i was just wondering. i dont want to be on sub forever so i feel like i need to get my mind set right. like yall said i had years to damage myself so im not gonna get better in a few months. wish i had more to say right now but i dont know. we all have our bad days. just trying to make it better. thank you again for everything. im so glad i found a recovery family. you guys are helping me more than you will ever know.
Back to top Go down
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 3:44 pm

That's how this works, by helping you and sharing our experiences, we help ourselves. You will get to where you need to be, just remember easy does it. If there is anything else I can do to help you, please let me know. I know that when I first started my journey, one of the hardest things to do was trust people and ask for help. There is nothing that is more beneficial in this process, than one addict helping another. By sharing our experiences, we learn that we are not unique and we start to have hope that if others have found a better life, maybe, just maybe we can to.

I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Yours in the struggle,
Monica
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? EmptyTue 24 Jul 2012, 8:07 pm

Like Monica said the hardest part sometimes is trusting people and asking for help.

Ive been on other forums and never felt like I was welcome or that I fit in and I was nervous about opening up like we do here, I don't feel like that here.

The people here are great. I trust and admire and love each member that has reached out to me during my darkest times.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: should i start tapering yet?   should i start tapering yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

should i start tapering yet?
Page 1 of 1