Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 Empty
PostSubject: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyMon 30 Nov 2009, 8:03 pm

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 Welcom10

Hi Lizzy,
My name is Dee and I am one of the moderators of the forum. We have two other moderators, their names are Barbara & Beth. Beth is currently taking some time off but Barbara will be along as soon as she can to say hello and welcome you as well.
I am sure at some point our Kimbo along with Cathy and maybe a few others will also pop in. You never know, some days we have a lot viewing and posting and other days not enough.
You are most welcome here. Are you currently a Suboxone patient or thinking about entering into recovery? This time of year is a difficult time for many people and when you are an addiction to deal with on top of everything else things can get a little crazy.
If you have any questions or concerns about Suboxone, addiction or recovery please let us know what we can do for you. I would like to encourage you to open up and tell us a little bit about yourself and how you can to this forum. You don't have to be afraid of offending us in anything that you may say. Believe me we have all been there that is for sure.
Take your time and read the posts of the other members. I'm sure that you will see something that you can relate to.
I am really looking forward to meeting you Lizzy.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyMon 30 Nov 2009, 9:56 pm

Hi Lizzy,

I'm Barbara. I'm glad to welcome you to our forum. You are in good hands here. The people here are fantastic and really care about each other. Dee said most of what I'd like to say to you. I hope you spend some time with us. Let us hear from you.
Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
lizzy1961

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyTue 01 Dec 2009, 1:13 pm

hi everyone,
thanks so much for the wrm welcome. what an awesome site. i just found it yesterday and spend hours reading through the different threads. the support here is amazing.

i am from canada and i do not know one other person here that is on sub. i have had the same doctor for over 20 years so he knows very well the struggle i have had with addiction. i went to see him loaded with information about sub and asked him if he could prescribe it. we checked with my pharmacist and he okayed it. so, i am bascially on my own.
I am currently taking 12 mg a day. i had a really hard time starting. i tried three times and every time went in to precipitaed withdrawal and was in agony for three dats. the first two times i ended up taking something to get rid of it, but the third time i stuck with it.
i have been an addict all of my life, but the last 5 years, since i found opiates is when the real trouble began. in the end i was taking 10 or more 80 mg oxys a day and it was costing me a fortune. i had cancer and belonged to a support group of cancer patients and a lot of them were selling their meds. they were too easy to get, so i had to break all ties with them and that was really hard because they were the real only friends i have left. i have pretty much isolated myself from everyone. my husband is still around but he is away during the week and home on weekends so he's pretty busy with all his activities. for the last few years i have stopped going out with him so i could stay home with my drugs, so our relationship is really strained. he knows about my addiction problems but he's tired of dealing with it also.

so, i'm really looking forward to gettting to know everyone here. will be really nice to have some support. i have been on sub for about a month and still don't really feel stable on it. i've adjusted my dose a few times, but i don't know whether to go up or down.

anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome,
Lizzy
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyTue 01 Dec 2009, 5:25 pm

Hi lizzy, My name is Cathy. I have been on Sub. for over a year now. I am doing great on it. You might of went into withdrawal because you didn't waite long enought for your doc to wear off. You have to waite between 12 to 24 hrs before dosing. If you don't feel stable on your dose right now call your doctor. You should not feel any
withdrawal or cravings right now. Are you looking into any support groups or recovery groups right now? That will really help you which you already know being in a cancer support group. I am sorry you had to give that up. As for your husband I know what you are going thru. When I was using I pushed mine away also. I never wanted to leave the house. When I got on Sub. We went to couple's counseling which helped alot. We are doing much better now even though I still tend to push him away.

I am sure Dee, Barbara, Beth and Kimbo will be here shortly to give you their advice and support. You can always count on us for support.

Have a great evening Lizzy! Talk to you soon and again Welcome. Cathy
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyTue 01 Dec 2009, 9:22 pm

Hi Lizzy,

My heart goes out to you as I have lived your life. I don't have Cancer, but I do have Hepatitis C. This alone make me feel like crap a lot of times. This is my opinion and you should talk to your doctor about this. For the amount of opiates you was on, you should be getting at least 24 milligrams a day. This is one 8 milligrams three times a day. My doctor kept me at this pace untill I stabilized and had me drop my mid-day dose. Everybody is different and have their own chemistry to deal with. There will come a time when less is better. Your body will let you know when you are in need and when you aren't. Using opiates has damaged the part of our brain which tells us we feel good. This part remarkably can repair itself. The joy can come back. The interest in your family and your husband will grow and with surprising strength. Don't feel like you have done something wrong and you need to deserve the approval of all around you. Addiction is as much a desease as Cancer. You are fighting the good fight for your life back. I wish you whatever you need to do this. Sometimes our spouse or friends really don't want us well. They have been so busy patting themselves on the back while you have been unavailable. Now you are getting better and can do for yourself, they have a hard time knowing what role they play in your life now. When you do go out, ask them to come along, but feel the strength to go alone. Laugh a lot. Smile sweetly to yourself. The look of peace in your eyes will send the message you are going to be okay this time. If these things aren't with you yet, give it time. It will. You will come back to life. Your digestion will come back. Your appetite will improve. Don't feel like you aren't worthy because you are. Mistakes are what they are and not one of us is perfect. We all make mistakes. We tend to punish ourselves enough without taking it from others. Hold your head up. If you can't get into a support group where you are, stay with us. We are here at least once a day. My work hours are always different, so I'll be here at odd hours. Beth is a stay at home Mom and will be with you as soon as she can. Dee, our main moderator is in and out, but here a couple of times a day.

Lizzy, read our post as much as you can. Our Administrator, Deborah has worked day and night putting all of the information on the forum from her heart she has written how to work your recovery. Post as much as you can. Anything bothering you will not seem as important when you share it with another person. Here you have about six or seven regular people who genually care and are available to you.

Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyTue 01 Dec 2009, 9:44 pm

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 Hi_how10

Hello Lizzy,
Suboxone was approved for the Treatment of Substance Abuse in Canada in 2007. I am not surprised that your doctor didn't know a lot about this "miracle" medication. Even here in the United State where it has been approved since 2002 not as many doctors are as knowledgeable as they should be.
In order for a doctor to be able to prescribe Suboxone for the treatment of Substance abuse in Canada they are supposed to go through what is called, The "Suboxone Education Program". I am really not sure how that works as I have not done much research involving Canada. Something that I plan to change this week. Now that we have a patient on the forum from Canada, it would be of a great benefit to learn everything that I can.
Now, back to your post.
You mentioned that you are currently at 12mg a day. But that you don't really feel stable. How do you feel? Are you having any cravings or withdrawal symptoms? Or do you just feel yuk? Please try and explain the best that you can. What was the starting dose of Suboxone that your doctor put you on? Some people need more and some need less. Everybody is different and no two people feel the same on the same dose. It is always best to adjust your dose slowly to give your self time to see how your body will react to it.
Are you taking your medication once a day or are you taking it in split doses throughout the day?
It is truly a miracle medication. So lets see what we can do to get you pointed in the right direction. Okay? You have taken a big step in regaining your life back and you deserve to live it the way it was meant to be lived. It won't always be an easy road to travel but it is a lot better that the road you just got off of.
It may take your husband time to get to a point of where he feels that the two of you can make it. give him some time. Addiction is a disease. It cannot be cured but it's symptoms can be managed.
Just remember that we are here to support you.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
lizzy1961

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyWed 02 Dec 2009, 11:05 am

hi everyone,
thanks so much for the warm welcome. it is so nice to have some suport and a place to ask some questions.

my doctor initially put me on 16 mg a day, but only because i told him that was what i wanted. so i started with that but i was really nauseous so i cut it down to 12 mg and feel a little better, but really edgy. it's really hard to explain but i get this awful, even painful tingly feeling across my back and shoulders. i always have this feeling when i am withdrawing, but it's the only one i have on sub but it makes me really edgy as it si the most uncomfortable feeling. i honestly have almost given up on sub just becaue of it, but i really do not have a choice. i cannot go back to the life i was living. i truly believe i would not be alive right now. i had given up all hope of doing this myself. i was on such a high dose of oxycontin that i was almost always in withdrawals as it wasn't always easy to be able to pay so much a day. i went through all of our savings, i still have not told my husband about that. i have always looked after the finances and was doing not too badly until the last year.

i am a teacher, and have been for 23 years. i have no idea how i have been able to keep this job, but having had cancer has been a good cover for having to take time off. it is amazing how when after a surgery or something related to my cancer everyone is so supportive and bring over food, and gifts but when it has soemthing to do with my addiction and my family and friends find out, there is absolutely no support, they don't even talk to me, not even my own father who was also an alcoholic most of his life.

so, i have to get back to work but will check back in on my next break. thanks again for the support, i really do appreciate it and i am really looking forward to getting to know you.

Lizzy
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 EmptyWed 02 Dec 2009, 6:25 pm

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 Red_co10
Hi lizzy weather you have cancer or suffer from addiction you still need support. We are here for you anytime any day. It's a shame how much people do forget once addiction enters into the picture. Forget it that you are an amazing woman that has beat the odds.
They will come around, just give it some time. And in the meantime take the time that you need to concentrate on your recovery. That is what is important now. Make this your number one priory the rest will follow.
There are tow thing you can try with your medication. You can try to raise it by 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet of lower it 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet. It does take while for your body to settle in on your dose. I promise you, once it does you will be so glad that you stuck with it. If you are taking your medication all at one time in the mornings you can try to split dose. Make sure that you carry a small snack with you to munch on in case your stomach gets upset. That may help. If you start to feel shaky and weak, I would guess that you should lower your dose. For a couple of days and see how that goes. Your body will tell you waht to do. When do you go back to the doctor? make a list of things that you want to speak to him about.
Are you having any cravings? I know being a teacher you are keeping yourself busy. Try taking some long walks, relaxing baths with lit candles, pamper yourself. Tell yourself that you will be okay. You can do this. We have all been where you are today. Please don't give up.
We are here and we promise that we won't leave you.
Yours in recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961   Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961 Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the Suboxone Forum Lizzy1961
Page 1 of 1