Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suboxone Patient Robs Provider

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Suboxone Patient Robs Provider Empty
PostSubject: Suboxone Patient Robs Provider   Suboxone Patient Robs Provider EmptySat 07 Nov 2009, 6:55 pm

Suboxone Patient Robs Provider Breaking-News

Good Evening to all,
I am always on the look out for different article concerning Suboxone and/or addiction. This evening I came across this article and wanted to let you read it also. There are always going to be risks involved when treating Substance Abuse Patients but when you add the fact that some provider chose to keep a controlled substance on the premises the risks are even greater.
What I don't understand is, why on earth was the medication NOT locked up in this particular office, but instead the doctors office manager who was also his wife was carrying the medication in question on her person in a fanny pack. Not only did she carry the medication around with her, but the patients were dosed from this fanny pack as well.
This may just be my opinion and we all have one, but it is my opinion that this doctor took an unnecessary risk.

Locked in a struggle with a drug-seeking gunman, Dr. Parvis Jian pulled a black ski mask from his assailant's face and confirmed what he already knew: The man pistol-whipping him in his own office was an opium-addicted patient who he had been treating for months.

Wednesday was to be the man's final appointment, he told the police.
In a criminal complaint against William Scannell, the man charged in the doctor's robbery and assault, police said that he fled Dr. Jian's Bellevue office with $330 and 67 tablets of suboxone, a prescription given to treat addiction to opiates, such as heroin.
Police said Mr. Scannell fired four shots during the robbery and struck the doctor and his wife, Forouhar Jian, with a silver handgun before fleeing the professional building, spawning a manhunt that ended early yesterday, when Allegheny County sheriff's deputies arrested him in Oakland.
Charges against Mr. Scannell, 35, include aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, robbery and theft. He was being held in the Allegheny County Jail last night on $200,000 bond, and a judge ordered him to be evaluated in the jail's behavioral clinic.
Dr. Jian and his wife, who is also his office manager, both suffered lacerations to the head and face, the complaint said. Mrs. Jian also suffered a burn to the left side of her face from the gun's muzzle blast.
She told police that Mr. Scannell called the office on Lincoln Avenue about 5 p.m. Wednesday to tell her he would be late for his 5:30 p.m. appointment.
Dr. Jian planned to drop Mr. Scannell as his patient, the complaint says.
About 5:30, after other employees had left, a gunman entered the office wearing gray coveralls, a black ski mask and sunglasses and ordered Mrs. Jian to "take it off!"
The complaint says she later realized he was referring to a fanny pack around her waist, where she keeps suboxone. Dr. Jian told police that Mr. Scannell and other addiction patients are given the drug directly from her fanny pack.

Mrs. Jian then struggled with Mr. Scannell, who "struck her repeatedly about the face and head," the complaint says. When the doctor tried to intervene and pull him away, he was also beaten, and Mr. Scannell pointed the gun at the pair several times. The doctor told police he pointed it directly at him and fired one shot, then fired three more toward both of them.
After the fourth shot was fired, Dr. Jian said he was able to pull off the man's ski mask.
He told police "he already knew that Scannell was the man who was attempting to rob them," but could clearly see his face after the mask was removed, the complaint says.
Mr. Scannell has robbery and burglary convictions in his past that prevent him from possessing a firearm, police said.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for next week.

source:
Post Gazette.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
bfye

bfye

Female
Number of posts : 695
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone Patient Robs Provider   Suboxone Patient Robs Provider EmptyMon 09 Nov 2009, 3:45 pm

Suboxone Patient Robs Provider Crow_o11

Dee,
As I was reading your above post, it really scared me. It reminded me of that incident last June at the OB Suboxone Provider when the man came in & tore his shirt off & ended up pulling that girl out of the office by her hair. Suboxone is becoming more & more well known, which is great for those of us who need it & use it appropriately, but is also getting much more attention by pharmicists & doctors alike. Remember when all of the elderly patients were being robbed of their Oxycontins when leaving the pharmacies? They make a point of NOT saying the drugs name out loud now for other customers to hear. At least, the local drug store that I use does with these type of meds. As you know, I live in a small country town that only has 2 pharmacies. The local one that most of the community uses, as well as a Rite Aid that has just been recently built into the outer side of town. But over this past summer, our local pharmacy was robbed at gunpoint TWICE for oxycontins. The second time, the guy walked around the store for 15-20 minutes waiting for the customers at the pharmacy desk to leave, then went back & demanded the drugs. Yet, he obviously had nothing over his face, so he is on every camera that they have in the store due to remaining in there for so very long. I don't know if he has yet been caught, but it will only be a matter of time. And the very minimum penalty for robbing a pharmacy, not including the gun, is 20 years prison time, plus add in the being held at gunpoint. The police got the first guy before he left the premises. Really sucks to be him!!
Anyways, I just was thinking about how out of control this situation is. A patient going after his own Suboxone provider & 2 people nearly losing their lives due to a drug designed to save lives! This world that we are living in...
Doing too much thinking today!
Love you,
B Suboxone Patient Robs Provider Herz
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone Patient Robs Provider   Suboxone Patient Robs Provider EmptyFri 20 Nov 2009, 4:23 pm

Hello Dee and Beth,

Thanks for posting this as it may help someone from getting their medication from being ripped off. I know even at my doctor's office I will put my medicine in my purse before leaving the office. Theirs' is in a separate office and the door is locked at all times. At my pharmacy has a roped off area for the next costumer to wait while you pick up your medicine. I like this anyway because sometimes people behind you are in a rush and stand on top of you. I don't like people behind me coughing or sneezing. You know they have something wrong with them if they are picking up medication. You never know what you can pick up just standing next to someone these days. Dee, you have put many things on the forum to help people. I want you to know I appreciate your efforts. I'm going to look for some news as well. You're doing a great job, my friend.

Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone Patient Robs Provider   Suboxone Patient Robs Provider Empty

Back to top Go down

Suboxone Patient Robs Provider
Page 1 of 1