Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thinking of starting Suboxone

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mgeof

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Thinking of starting Suboxone Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 8:24 pm

Hello I am new to this forum and I am unsure about the effects and withdrawls of Suboxone. I have been hooked on Oxi-Cotin and Vicodin for almost a year; it rules my life. I lost my job over it and I do what ever it takes to get money so I can go get another 80mg of Oxi. A recovery center near my home said that I can come in and start on Suboxone and be opiate free in 24 hours, my question is am I just going to go from being addicted from one drug to another. The reason I don't go off the Oxi is the withdrawl feelings, and I don't want to just get on something else that is going to make me feel good and than have withdrawls when I try to get off of that. Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks, Margo
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:10 pm

Hi Margo,
Welcome to the forum. my name is Dee and I am one of the moderators. I am also a Suboxone patient. I have been taking Suboxone for three years.
Nobody likes to go through withdrawals. I think that is one of the biggest reasons why we keep using. TO avoid withdrawals.
I won't lie to you about taking Suboxone. If you start and continue with Suboxone as a maintenance treatment to manage your addiction to opiates, then yes, one day if you decide to stop taking Suboxone you will have withdrawals.
It is an opiate itself.
But is it simply substituting one drug for another? No it is not.
Suboxone when used in conjunction with counseling as it should be is no different than taking Insulin for diabetes.
There are some cases where people have used Suboxone to detox off of Oxycontin, Vicodin etc. But the chance of a relapse is high.
A detox of say like five days is not long enough for you to get the drugs out of your system completely, not only that but in order to be successful at recovery, you will need to change a lot of things about your life.
You will need to stop seeing the people that you associate with now. If they are using, it doesn't matter if it is your best friend. They have to go. You need to stop hanging around the same places that you hang around.
The choice is your I know. What ever you decide think about it long and hard.
I'm sure the other members of the forum will be along to share with you their experiences as well.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:23 pm

Hi Margo,

I'm Barbara and like Dee said, You have to change your playmates and your playhouses. I've also been on Suboxone for three years and down to two to four milligrams a day. This is many times better than four to five 80 milligrams of Oxycontin a day, plus four or five Oxycodone for "breakthough." Honey, you need to ask yourself, do you want to live to be a nice old age or die young? I've lost many friends and even my last husband to opiates. It's not a pretty death. Right now you are still under the influence, but if you gave yourself half a chance, you would see how much better off you would be going into recovery. You haven't been "into it" for that long. It's quite possible you could go onto Suboxone and do a taper, but it will take at least six months. There's a lot of information on the forum for you to look at and learn all you need to know. There are people on here whom have done a taper off and doing well. I also have friends who are clean of everything. This is my goal to be free of all of it, but I know it's going to take a lot of hard work on my part and being real honest with myself and others. I can tell from how you wrote you want to be off of opiates and you know deep inside you would be safer on Suboxone than Oxycontin.

Stay in touch and give yourself permission to choose to live in recovery rather than addicted and truely addicted to a slow death.

Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 9:56 am

Thank you both for your feedback, but I guess I am not understanding the benefits of switching from one opiate to another. I only do about 80mg of Oxi a day usually smoking it, and the only reason I want to quit is because financially I am going broke. I have maxed out all my credit cards, lied to get money from family and done some pretty unspeakable things to get the money to get it, but from what I have heard the Suboxone is very expensive so to go from spending the money on Oxi at 60.00 a pill to something even more expensive is not something I can afford to do. And as far as not being around the people that I use with that will never happen since the main person I use with is my finace' and right now he is trying to get clean on his own. It is a lot to think about but am thinking that I might just be able to taper off on Vicodin and not feel so sick. Margo
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 6:14 pm

Margo,
If the reason that you want off of the Oxycontin is because of the cost, there is something a little more to think about.
You and your life.
I once was into Oxycontin heavily myself. I didn't smoke it and I didn't snort it. I injected it. That was something I swore up and down that I would never do, but I did. So many times I would use only to nod out and wake up just to use all over again. It is a true miracle that I did not overdose.
I use to tell people that I was an addict and there was nothing they could do about it because it was my choice and that is what I wanted.
But that was a life time ago. Finally I got tired of being who I was and tired of what I was doing, I knew that I had to stop and I knew that no one could do it for me. I couldn't do it for anyone. I had to want to do it for myself.
What is your boyfriend going to do if he is able to get clean and your still using?
Do you still see the two of you together? One sober and one not?
It won't work that way, as long as one of you is using, then both of you will be using.
It is your decision, I hope as Barbara said you will stop and think about weather or not you want to live to a ripe old age or die.
It is as simple as that. As long as you keep using, you are giving yourself a death sentence.
Yours in recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 6:28 pm

I want to get started on treatment but I do not have insurance and the treatment center wants 400.00 up front and than I will also need money to get the script for the Suboxone filled. Unfortunetly I do not have anyone that can help me and of coarse in the mean time I keep going to get more Oxi at 60.00 a pill because I get sick with-out it. So as soon as I can find a way to get the money or find someone to loan me the money I will go get on the Suboxone and get clean.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 28 Jul 2009, 8:57 pm

Margo,
If my message above sounded harsh I want to apologize to you for that. I have to admit that I am biased when it comes to Suboxone. As I have been on it for three years now and it has made such a difference in my life. But at the same time I can understand not being able to afford the treatment.
Last year I lost my insurance for about 5 months, and for those months I had to pay out of pocket for my medications.
ave you checked into or has anyone talked to you about the Patient Assistance Program through the makers of Suboxone?
As with all programs there are some guidelines to qualifying, but it is worth a shot. The program is for people with little or no income and no health insurance.
Deborah posted the information about it in another section of the forum. I'll give you the link to read about it.
Read Here

I know that right now, it may seem an impossible task, but we are here to offer you support as long as you have the desire to help yourself.
You are not alone.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 9:45 pm

Well I have made my appointment for the recovery center for monday and they will put me on Suboxone, so my question is how soon after I start taking it will I feel good and not have the cravings for the Oxi? I am excited about just getting my life back, getting back to the gym, and back out doing things with my friends. It is the perfect time as my finace' will be back next Friday and he will be clean as well, so we can both support each other and start living normal lives again that don't revolve around trying to get a hold of our dealer or trying to dig up enough change to buy another pill. So I hope that I can still talk on this forum and also get support thru here as I will need all the support and prayers that I can get.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 12:23 am

Margo,
Congratulations on your appointment!
You made the decision and took the step that you needed to turn your life around. You said that your fiance will be back next Friday, is he in detox right now? He will be happy for you as well I'm sure.
It will be so much better for the both of you to do this together as it never works in a relationship when one person is using and the other one is trying to stop.

On your appointment monday, is that your induction appointment? If it is, did they tell you anything about what you will need to do to get ready for that appointment?
If not, let us know and we will be more than happy to help you through this.
You are more than welcome to stay on the forum and post. Your right you will need support and we are here to give it.
Congratulations again. Let me know what the center told you about your appointment on monday.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 9:39 am

No they did not say much just that I will come in and see the doctor and have a drug screen and than they write out the script for me to get filled and tell me how to take it. I than have to go every week for an hour counseling session and to get a new script (they only write one week at a time). My fiance' is not in detox but he is in Arizona and did not take anything with him and has now been with-out for about a week. He said the first 3-4 days were hell but is starting to feel better, still tired and a little weak but not sick or skin crawling feeling. So by the time he gets back he should be feeling much better. I would love any in-sight on how I should prepare and how long once I start the Suboxone that I will fell good?
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyFri 31 Jul 2009, 9:28 am

Margo,
I will be happy to talk to you about what to expect on Monday.
I have to post to you a little bit later on today. I have an extremely important meeting this morning.
I have faith that you will do fine.
I'll talk to you later.
Dee
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Number of posts : 695
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptySat 01 Aug 2009, 10:35 am

Hi Margo,
My name is Beth & I am also on the Suboxone. I have been taking it since last May (2008) & I fully believe that had I not gotten onto it, I wouldn't be here today to tell you what a life saving, miracle medication is has been for myself, as well as many others. Yes, it is quite expensive, but I can guarantee that is not nearly as costly as those 80 mg Oxycontins that your needing right now. I realize that you are only taking one per day right now, but as you know, that addiction will only get worse & worse as your tolerance gets higher. That is a major difference between Suboxone & many other drugs. "Less is more" is what Dee always says & that is the truth. You cannot take more of the Suboxone to get that "high" feeling. The maximum dosage is 32 mgs per day, but I really don't know of anyone who has even stayed on that high of an amount for maintenance. Maybe while your starting off, but once aagin, less is more. I am still prescibed 24mgs daily, but have only been taking 16mgs for well over six months. It's even to the point that I could probably go lower and still make it through, but I'm not yet ready for that struggle. (as I also have some other issues going on) But, I know that its possible. I've made it by on 8 mgs a day before & have made it through it, but not very well. I can certainly tell you that even feeling a little bit bad on only the 8 mgs still was nothing compared to the withdrawls from the Oxycontins.
I am very happy for you making that appointment for Monday. You'll be amazed at how much better you are. I know that once Dee gets through with her meeting that she will give you the full details of what to expect. I can only tell you from my own experience that I also had an appointment early on a Monday morning as well. You need to go into that appointment while in withdrawl or the Suboxone will bring on a precipitated withdrawl since opiates are still in your system. I took my last Oxycontin on Sunday morning when I knew my appointment was the next morning. When I went in, they checked me over, blood pressure, runny nose, tired, yawning, pupils, sweatiness & shakiness, etc. Just to chart the symptoms that I was having. Then, they gave me one 8mg tab & I had to sit there & wait for a while so that they could see how I was reacting to the medication. I felt better before the entire tablet even dissolved into my system. (so you feel better almost instantly) Then, I had to see the doctor, have him evaluate me before I left & they sent me home with one more 8 mg tablet, with plans of returning the next morning. That first day, I kind of felt like I had the flu & slept, but NOTHING like the same withdrawl feeling of just stopping cold turkey. I returned the next morning, again, I was examined & a dosage was determined by how I felt. (that's one thing for sure that I'd like to mention to you, make sure that you are honest with them as to how you are feeling, as that is how your dosage is determined) They then called in a weeks worth to the one pharmacy that they use exclusively. I had to return on a weeky basis, drop urine, talk with the counselor & then he'd call in my next weeks worth. I did it that way for the first six months or so, then I found a doctor who'd write my script monthly & helped me get onto the RxAssistance Program. I am no longer with that doctor though due to the multitudes of other medications that she was trying me on. I felt like I was going crazy due to some of these meds. (ex: Lithium, Stavzor, Depakote, etc) Not to even mention the Tranzene... Evil or Very Mad But I have just continued to go on & on, you will do great come Monday. Like I mentioned, I felt better before the tablet was even all the way dissolved in my mouth. I'm hoping the same success for you. Please continue to keep us updated as to how you are feeling & how your appointment does go for you. You will be in my thoughts & prayers, but I have no doubt that you can do it. Good luck Margo & again, please keep me updated as to how you are getting along. I love you
Your Friend in Recovery,
B I love you (Beth)
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptySat 01 Aug 2009, 12:01 pm

Thanks Beth, my appointment is Monday afternoon at 430pm, my last OXY was friday morning, and all I have left right now is Vicodin that I am only taking if I feel really sick. I think the Wellbitrin I take helps a little with the withdrawl symtoms but still have the skin crawly feeling and am sleepy. I was actually just thinking about canceling the appointment and tapering off on the Vicodin if I can that way I can save the money.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptySat 01 Aug 2009, 11:13 pm

Hi Margo,
I am sorry that I didn't get here to you sooner. After my meeting on Friday I had a few things to take care of and by the time I got done I was so tired and am just now getting to my work here.
You mentioned that you haven't taken anything and that you have the skin crawling, along with a few other symptoms.
It is of course up to you on how you decided to proceed on Monday, and if you don't go to the appointment you will be able to save that money.
It will take awhile for you to get the other stuff out of your system. And after while you will get to feeling better.
But what will you do about your cravings? Will you be able to ignore them?
How many times have you tried to stop on your own before?
That is the only thing that I am thinking about.
Every time that I quit on my own before I did great for awhile. My son's father and I both quit at one time before so neither one of us were using and to be honest, I had cravings so bad.
But I knew that he was having them too. I also knew that if I could get him to use and he knew that if he could get me to use just once, we would both be of the hook and could go back to our regular routine.
Suboxone is designed to eliminate withdrawal and cravings.
In all of the time that I have been taking it, I can honestly say that I have not had any of the cravings that I would normally have. Once and awhile a small thought might pop into my head, but it's only there for a few seconds and then it's gone again.
Think about at least going to the appointment, and talking to the doctor. Get your prescription, if you don't want to take it don't.
But you will at least have the Suboxone if you decide that you want to give it a try.
If you cancel your appointment and later change your mind. Will you be able to get another appointment? Or will that take you off of their list.
Most places have a long waiting list of people. Have you read through the posts of the other members? Read what they all have to say, their histories and stories. It might give you a little insight.
Get yourself some sleep.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptySun 02 Aug 2009, 10:50 am

Well I started taking my Wellbutrin again and it helps with the cravings, so if I can just get thru the next few days of the withdrawl symptons I should be fine. As far as the cravings I think they will always be there just like any other addiction like alcholics. As long as my finace' does not bring it around or mention it I on't feel like I want to use again because it is hell getting off. Margo
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptySun 02 Aug 2009, 2:01 pm

Margo,
Hi there! How are you feeling today? I have to say that I am worried for you if you choose to not go to your Suboxone appointment on Monday. I would never tell someone who is in recovery how to work their recovery, that is an individual process that is different for everyone. Some people can drink for thirty years, then just stop. But, this is something different, as we have a disease & like any disease needs maintenance. I'm surely not going to say that the only way people get off opiates is Suboxone, but what I can tell you from my own experience is that I tried to do just what you are now & have succeeded. For periods of time. Sometimes, a month, once even for two & a half years, but NEVER have been able to stay off of them due to the withdrawl (obviously), but even after that, the cravings & the changes that I had caused in my brain chemistry for using them for so long that my brain ceased making my "feel good" endorphins, dopamine, seratonin, etc. The Suboxone can help to block that off & you DO NOT HAVE TO SUFFER!! You will feel better almost instantly. Please read about our Sweet Jessica & where she was 2 weeks ago compared to where she is today. It is an amazing transformation for those of us with this disease. Margo, I am only saying these things to you because I care & I know that this medication can completely work for getting off, but even more so, for remaining off of all opiates. It truly can change your life. I ask, as Dee did above, that you will go to your appointment & get the script. Even if you choose not to fill it. I have waited for eleven months to get in to one particular doctor, but he turned out to not be the one for me. To get a new appointment anywhere around here, the waiting lists are months long. I hope that you will just keep that in mind. All I want for you is success & happiness, as I do for everyone on this forum, I am just letting you know what worked for me. Suboxone has been many of our "life saving miracle medication" It has saved my life. I hope that you will give this some further thought & please read about the members here. Read about Jessica or Dee. Read about Lori. You will be amazed. Please keep me updated.
Sending blessings your way,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 04 Aug 2009, 12:04 pm

Margo,
Hi there! How are you feeling today? I would like to apologize to you about my above post, if I have offended you, it was certainly not intentional. I love you I really just care for you & your recovery and I want you to succeed. Have you given any additional thought to keeping your appointment for today or did you decide to cancel? Either way, we are still here for you, to support you throughout your recovery. Did your fiance get home safely on Friday? How is he feeling? How did he do once he was back in town & back to his normal routines? Is he hanging in there? This will be such a struggle for the two of you to endure together, but on the other hand, you will have each other to hold you both accountable to each other. Does that make sense? My biggest concern is that you (or your fiance) will successfully get off of these opiates, but if one of you "slip" (very common- especially within the first sixty to ninety days) does that mean that you will both use again? Please don't be offended- I am only throwing out concerns that I have for you both. I wish you the best of success, however you choose to get off & remain off of them. Please let me hear how you are getting along & know that I simply care for both of your recoveries remaining successful!
Margo, again, if I have offended you, I apologize. I want you to do whatever you have to do to lead an opiate free lifestyle. I was only voicing MY OWN concerns for the both of you. Please don't let me run you off, as this forum has been my mainline to remaining in recovery. You wouldn't even believe all the support, encouragement & strength that can be gained here. Please, Margo, let me know that you are doing okay & keep in touch.
Sending love, hugs & strength your way! Best of luck with your appointment today, if you've chosen to keep it. I'd really like to know how this all works out for you & your fiance. I hope to hear back from you again soon!
Your Friend in Recovery,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
mgeof

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 04 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

Thanks Beth, I did not go to my Appt. Monday as I am doing fine on my own. I have been clean since last Friday and feeling good. My finace' comes home this Thursday and I am excited but scared too, as I am afraid that once he gets back he will want to use again even though he has been clean for over two weeks. He is really good friends with the person who supplies us and spends a lot of time there, so yes I am scared that he will start up again and bring it around me. I will not use again and if he brings it home or I find out he is using than it will be over between us as I can not continue on that path in life. We spent over 2000.00 on Oxy in July and that is only because I lied to family and friends to get money. I can not continue to get money and am tired of being broke all the time, and now that I am clean I am finding that I like getting up early in the morning again and getting things done instead of sleeping in until noon. So yes I am nervous about his return but I hope to god that he is as serious as I am this time about being clean. I thank you for your imput and help, it is always nice to have support and someone to talk to as none of my friends or family have any idea of my addiction. Margo
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 04 Aug 2009, 4:26 pm

Hi Margo,

I used Wellbutrin to stop smoking and it worked fine untill I smoked one cigarette, I got so sick I had to quit taking them. You'll be fine just concentrate on yourself. I stayed sober from alcohol while my husband still drank. I wasn't happy with him, but so happy for myself. This month I have eighteen years without any alcohol. I don't miss it and don't have any strong cravings.

Good luck with your induction and recovery. We are all here if you need anything.
Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone EmptyTue 04 Aug 2009, 6:13 pm

Hi Margo,
How are you hanging in there? You sound pretty well, although I'm still concerned that you cancelled your appointment. It sounds as if you could possibly just stop, but what about when your fiance comes home? Is he willing to "cut ties" with his friends who also use pills? Are the two of you going to be able to remain strong together, even when one of you feel as if you are going to go crazy, is that going to turn into justification for the both of you to use? These are simply things for you to ponder over Margo. As I said, I am only letting you know my opinion. I just wish the best for the both of you & am sending blessings your way! Let me know if I could possibly help you in anyway.
Your Friend,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting Suboxone   Thinking of starting Suboxone Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of starting Suboxone
Page 1 of 1