Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is scary, if you have younger children please read

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

This is scary, if you have younger children please read Empty
PostSubject: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyWed 15 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

I came across this news article from Drugs.com and wanted to share it with out members. If you have younger children or know of someone who does you may want to share it with them as well.

Codeine Use in Certain Children After Tonsillectomy and/or Adenoidectomy:
Drug Safety Communication - Risk of Rare, But Life-Threatening Adverse Events or Death

ISSUE: The FDA is reviewing reports of children who developed serious adverse effects or died after taking codeine for pain relief after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Recently, three pediatric deaths and one non-fatal but life-threatening case of respiratory depression were documented in the medical literature.

These children (ages two to five) had evidence of an inherited (genetic) ability to convert codeine into life-threatening or fatal amounts of morphine in the body. All children had received doses of codeine that were within the typical dose range.

BACKGROUND: When codeine is ingested, it is converted to morphine in the liver by an enzyme called cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6). Some people have DNA variations that make this enzyme more active, causing codeine to be converted to morphine faster and more completely than in other people. These “ultra-rapid metabolizers” are more likely to have higher than normal amounts of morphine in their blood after taking codeine. High levels of morphine can result in breathing difficulty, which may be fatal. Taking codeine after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy may increase the risk for breathing problems and death in children who are “ultra-rapid metabolizers.” See the FDA Drug Safety Communication for additional information, including a Data Summary.

RECOMMENDATION: Health care professionals should be aware of the risks of using codeine in children, particularly in those who have undergone tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. If prescribing codeine-containing drugs, the lowest effective dose for the shortest period of time should be used on an as-needed basis (i.e., not scheduled around the clock).

Parents and caregivers who observe unusual sleepiness, confusion, or difficult or noisy breathing in their child should seek medical attention immediately, as these are signs of overdose.

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

• Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyWed 15 Aug 2012, 11:35 pm

The article doesn't even mention all of the cough syrups on the market that contain codeine. When I took my youngest son to have his teeth capped at 3yrs old they tried to inject him with morphine before he even woke up from the anesthesia. He hadn't even complained about pain and they were gonna dose him. I threw a fit and told them under no circumstances would he receive morphine unless it was as a last resort for excruciating pain. They looked at me like I was stupid and I explained that I am an opiate addict and don't want my son taking opiates. They still gave him a scrip for tylenol3 but I didn't let him take that either. You would think that the medical community would be a little more tight fisted with dangerous pain killers, but they're not. So imo it's just one more thing I have to stay vigilant about when it comes to my kids.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyThu 16 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

Your right Monica and I never thought about the cough syrups. I can't imagine them giving a child morphine before waking up fully. What about the added depression that can come by mixing the two. When my daughter had some extensive dental work done she was also 3 and was put to sleep for it. However, it was long after she woke up and was clearly in much pain when they did give her something for that pain. It was not automatic.

Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
ircavnar666

ircavnar666

Female
Number of posts : 22
Humor : with the help of my family and friends i know i can do this.
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyThu 23 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

this really scares me because my kids' dr told me that my daughter might have to have her tonsils taken out soon. maybe within a year or two and shes four. of course i dont want her to have surgery but if its neccesary then by all means. she snores loud and it always sounds like she has the sniffles. but she doesnt i guess she just cant breathe that well or something. shes fine for now and starting pre k monday. my sunshine is growing up too fast. i also cant believe that i will be 23 in a couple of weeks then halloween is five year anniversary and november my hubby will be 24. wow where does the time go?
Back to top Go down
MonicaS

MonicaS

Female
Number of posts : 189
Humor : Recovery is a journey to be taken not a destination to be reached.
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyThu 23 Aug 2012, 2:20 pm

ircavnar,
My oldest had tubes put in his ears at 4 and had no issues. I had my tonsils out at 7...30 years ago and once again no problem. No pain meds, just ice cream. Don't worry until you have to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

This is a very interesting article Dee! I was given codeine when I was 4 and broke my arm and again when I was 7 and had my tonsils removed! I guess I am lucky to be alive!
I know darn well that if Cooper ever needed surgery they're not going to be giving him any codeine! No way in hell! I won't risk my baby's life. It should NOT be that they automatically for the codeine to them before or as they wake up! Try should wait until they are fully awake and make sure that they actually are in pain before giving them pain medicine. And why not try giving Motrin first? They sure as heck didn't try giving me Motrin before Dilaudid at my last visit to the hospital! They were so quick to offer me the Dilaudid (Very strong opiate pain med) I had to refuse it and ask for a non narcotic.
Sorry I got a bit of topic. Anyways. If my son ever needed surgery I would NOT allow them to give him narcotic pain meds before he woke up! I don't think I'd let them give him narcotic pain meds at all!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is scary, if you have younger children please read   This is scary, if you have younger children please read Empty

Back to top Go down

This is scary, if you have younger children please read
Page 1 of 1