Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

**Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa6013

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-15

**Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? Empty
PostSubject: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 10:57 am

morning all! I am new here, and am very thankful for this forum, and the wonderful people on here Smile I will post my introduction later on that thread.... Today is day 10 of my Suboxone. I have seen my doctor twice. The last time I saw him, I told him that I was getting headaches daily, and he said since I tend to get headaches and migraines anyway, that he didn't want to write a script for anything to relieve the pain (was asking for Imitrex), that he rather I see a Neurologist. Well, after much research, I have found that 36% of folks on Sub. get headaches. So, if the meds that he is prescribing for me are causing headaches, why won't he help me with this? Okay, now the other day I called him which was about day 5 of my treatment. I was having problems emptying my bladder. I would sit on the toilet for a good ten minutes before I was able to go, if I could go at all! At the same time, my ankles and feet got wicked swollen! They hurt really bad. I mentioned THIS to my doctor, and told him that I seemed to be retaining fluid for some reason, and he didn't say or suggest anything. He told me that it sounded like I had a UTI regarding the bathroom problem. I told him that I never had that before, and he said that didn't mean I couldn't get it.. so, I bought a home test for UTI, and of course it came back negative. I knew it would. After reading posts on this, and other forums, it certainly appears that my side effects are from the Suboxone, and not some other issues I may be having.. shouldn't my doctor be aware and acknowledge my symptoms? I am calling him in a little while, but wanted some input from you all first. Should I ask to be put on Subutex? From what I have read, most of the side effects come from the other 2mg that is in the suboxone..... thanks in advance everyone!

hugs!
cheers
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 11:17 am

Hi Lisa,
What does of Suboxone are you taking? It could be a side affect of the Suboxone but it could also be that you are on too high of a dose of Suboxone. Have you tried to lower your dose at all? With Suboxone many people find that less is more.
Meaning the less amount of the Suboxone you take the more you will feel the benefits of it.
A lot of people do get headaches in the beginning of their treatment. With time some have found the headaches go away after their body settles in on the dose that is right for them.
A lot of doctors are reluctant to prescribe Subutex as it can be abused. It does not contain Naloxone the active opiate blocker in Suboxone.
I am going to be honest with you. It sounds like it is not going to matter what you tell your doctor, because he just does not care. It is sad but a lot of doctors out thee that are prescribing Suboxone are in it for the money they can make off of their patients.
Suboxone is a wonderful medication when used properly. I'm not knocking it at all, I never would. I have been on Suboxone for three years. And I have no intention of stopping it. It has helped me to get to where I am today. Alive.

To answer your question.
Yes, your doctor should acknowledge your problems. So you have a regular primary care doctor that you normally go to?
What I recommend for people that are just starting to get themselves together after abusing their bodies for long periods of time it, to get a complete physical. Have a complete bold panel done.
When we are using drugs things can change in our bodies that we are not aware of because we have not been paying attention.
Before I started Suboxone I was on Methadone for four years. I had terrible fluid retention. And I had gained a lot of weight. I put it off of the Methadone. When I switched over to Suboxone four years later, I still continued to gain weight, I was so tired all of the time, and I still had the fluid retention.
My doctor ordered a series of tests for me. When the results came in I found out that I was severely Hypothyroid.
I had no idea. I am on medication and feel so much better now.
But I would never have known if not for those tests.
I'm sorry that I went on about myself for a minute there. Please let us know what the doctor says once you call him. You may want to think about changing doctors if your not comfortable with this one. It is just something to think about.
We care about you Lisa. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 11:50 am

Lisa
Are you and your husband going to try and stay on Suboxone or have you decided what to do yet?
I am keeping the both of you in my prayers.
Dee
Back to top Go down
Lisa6013

Female

PostSubject: Lisa' Side Effects...NEED TO STOP SUBOXONE IMMEDIATELY!!!!   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 12:55 pm

Hi, Thanks for your replies and concern! I got off the phone with my doctor about 40 minutes ago. BTW- I had called him yesterday afternoon, and he hadn't returned my call.... so anyway, I told him my concerns regarding all of the side effects that I was having... actually one MAJOR one, I forgot to mention to you is that one day, after being on it for a few days, I was having problems swallowing! I called him right away when this happened, and he said that he had never heard of anyone having problems swallowing from Suboxone... I told him that it felt like my throat felt like it was kind of swollen, or something, and that when I tried to swallow sometimes, even saliva, I couldn't! It went away after about two days, but has returned this today..so I took 3 Benadryl tablets so far. So... I told the doc that when I researched the side effects, one of the rare ones (I always get rare side effects with meds! lol) was Angioedema, which is basically a painless swelling that can occur many places such as the Larnyx and feet.... DAH!! After telling him this, he told me that I needed to stop taking the Suboxone immediately! Another DAH!! I told him that I had been taking 22 mgs per day. He told me I was going to have withdrawals, another DAH.. but then told me to take 2 mg of Suboxone as needed to help with the withdrawals... now, if you were ME, would you put another Suboxone tablet near your mouth?!! No.... He was going to call in some Clonodine for me to help, but I have some in the house anyway, so when I start feeling yucky I will take that as needed. I started to have a panick attack while I was on the phone with him... not good.... asked if he could call in something for my anxiety which is through the roof (I am shaking right now), and he will not call in a benzo because of the risk of abusing them. I remembered I have some Seroquel here, so I will take that as needed as well. So now I am panicking about my throat closing up... and then I am panicking about being sick from withdrawals, and THEN, I am panicking because having to stop the Suboxone brings me back to square one.......... I'm so upet....... No
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 12:21 am

Lisa,
I am a big fan of Wikipedia and this is what they say about what you are experiencing;
Angioedema (BE: angiooedema) is the rapid swelling (edema) of the dermis, subcutaneous tissue,
mucosa and submucosal tissues. It is very similar to urticaria, but urticaria, commonly known as hives, occurs in the upper dermis.
In the past, angioedema was referred to by the term angioneurotic edema, which wrongly implied that the phenomenon was due to neurosis.
Cases where angioedema progresses rapidly should be treated as a medical emergency as airway obstruction and suffocation can occur. Epinephrine may be lifesaving when the cause of angioedema is allergic. In the case of hereditary angioedema, treatment with epinephrine has not been shown to be helpful.

To be safe and because your doctor in the past has not seemed as though he really cared about you or what you have been experiencing. I would go to the Emergency room.
I would not wait to see what happens. It could be that nothing bad will happen to you. But why take the chance. I don't want to scare you, but I do want you to be safe.
Please let me know how you are in the morning.
Dee
Back to top Go down
Lisa6013

Female

PostSubject: Thursday morning   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 10:18 am

Dee,

Good morning... thanks again for your concern! I am doing pretty good so far this morning. I took my benadryl as soon as I got up. My swalling problem is much better this morning. My throat feels just about normal. I have decided that unless my symptoms change or get worse, I am not going to the ER. I do have an Epi pen here (our son has to have one on hand), so I can always use that if and when I need to. I did call the nurse line for Suboxone yesterday, and they agreed with me, that I should not take any more Sub to help get me through the withdrawals even though my doc had suggested to. They took my information and will be forwarding it to the FDA, and said that someone would be calling me back at a later date to see how I am doing. I don't know if you have heard of Fioricet. It is for migraines/tension headaches. It has a barbituate in it along with caffeine and acetemetaphin. That is the drug that I abused mostly. I would take at least 15 per day. My doc is supposedly going to call me today, to see how I am... I was thinking about asking him to call in ten Lortab for me. I was thinking that I could take a couple a day to help me when I get sick from withdrawals (which has not happened yet). He probably won't go for it... He also wants to see me in his office next week... well, that's not going to happen! Why in God's name would I see him again? So he can bill Medicaid for another appointment? He hasn't done crap for me..... Anyway, I need to go fix something to eat.... looking forward to hearing from you..

lisa Wink
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 10:50 am

Hi Lisa
Yes, I have heard of Fioricet. I was on it at one time a long time ago for headaches. And I do know how easy it is to abuse it.
I don't think your doctor will call you in any Lortab to help you with the withdrawals. Doing that would be like telling you it is okay to continue on with your addiction.
I hate to sound harsh, but the best thing you can do for withdrawals is to stick with the non opiates and no narcotic medications.
Motrin or Ibuprofen for body aches, Herbal tea like chamomile for insomnia. Hot baths to help you relax and even though it is hard to do the best thing that you can do is anything that will keep you busy and your mind occupied.
If you find yourself with a lot of down time your mind will start to wander and the "maybe just one" thoughts can kick in.
What you do is completely up to you of course. But I don't want you to risk a relapse after you have come this far.
Always,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Lisa6013

Female

PostSubject: I agree!   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 11:04 am

Dee,

The more I thought about asking for a few Lortab, the more I realized that NOT be a good idea, and counter-productive for me... I agree with you 100%. I cannot take nsaids because I had gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago. I can develop an ulcer very easilty from taking uboprophen, motrin, etc. I also cannot take asprin products, all I am left with is Tylenol, which doesn't do a thing for me... however, I have been through worse than what I am about to go through I know... I have had nine abdominal surgeries in my life. The last three in the past three years due to complications from the weight loss surgery.. Anyway, even though I am no longer taking Suboxone, is it okay for me to continue to post here, as I feel that you all will help me tremendously!

hugs,
lisa Smile
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Number of posts : 695
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 3:12 pm

Hi Lisa,
My name is Beth & I only have but a minute to really reply. But I'm glad that you changed your mnd about the Lortabs. The Fioricet as well. I have also taken that, as well as Fiorinal & they are very easily abused. I learned at a headache seminar at the Cleveland Clinic that those two drugs should, simply put, be banned. They have a combination of many drugs in that one small little pill. There's even Fioricet with Codeine, as I'm sure that your aware of as well. I'm not quite sure how to respond to your Suboxone questions & the side effects. I did want to let you know that I also had severe headaches when first beginning the Suboxone, but it has mostly gone away. I also had that feeling that your referring to about it being hard to swallow. Especially at first, when I had no appetite. I would chew & chew & chew my food, but could barely get it to go down my throat. Same thing, I felt like I was choking. These side effects have lessened more & more the longer that I've been on it, which was a year this past May. What dosage are you (or were you) taking that was creating these side effects? As Dee mentioned above, with Suboxone, less is more. I am prescribed much more than what I take. Maybe after speaking with your doctor & getting a better idea of what is going on, as maybe it is not the Suboxone or the proper dosage. Maybe you have underlying health issues that weren't yet addressed due to you not feeling them while on the opiates.( Question ) Please let me hear how it works out for you & please do continue to post here, as we are all struggling with our own demons & need an outlet. You may have to find a different doctor if your current doc is unwilling to work with you. That's a issue that many of us find here- having such a hard time finding the right doctor who will listen & understand you! It's not an easy process, that's for sure. But hang in there & keep reaching out- God has funny ways of giving us what we need, but not in our timing & maybe not even what it was that we were praying for. He knows what we need. That's what I have to constantly remind myself of, I don't have control over many things, but my God does & he has carried me thus far. I also have to keep believing!!! Like a Star @ heaven
So, Lisa, hang in there & now you know that we have to create a new plan for you & your sobriety. (me too- it continues to change the further that we get into our recovery!)
Sending hugs your way!
Love & Strength Strong Lisa!!
B I love you (Beth)
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? EmptyFri 17 Jul 2009, 11:30 pm

Lisa,
yes, please do stay and keep posting. Now more than ever you need support. And we would like to be a source of support for you.
How is your husband doing through all of this. Will he still be stopping the Suboxone as well.
I ti a shame that you don't qualify for the Patient Assistance Program. there is such a need for so many people. I could see a limit on the income. But for unemployment?
I know that you mentioned that you checked out the Patient Assistance Program on the manufacturers web site. But did you try calling the program phone number? It might be worth a shot.
Anything is worth a shot. I'll give you that number as it is different from the nurse phone line. That number is: 1-866-512-2216 They are available Monday-Friday 9a.m.-5p.m.
Try and see what they say. Please let me know if you call them. since it is the weekend you will have to wait until Monday. I'll be thinking of you.
And remember, you are more than welcome here.
Always
Dee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???   **Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

**Ankle/Foot swelling/headaches/emptying bladder issues** ???
Page 1 of 1