Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment Empty
PostSubject: How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment   How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment EmptyThu 07 May 2009, 7:01 pm

How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment Doctor11
Today, more than 80 percent of American workers are in some form of managed care health plan, compared to about 29 percent in 1988. While managed care has put some much-needed controls on the delivery of services, experts say that it has also forced many substance abuse treatment centers to close or cut back on services. A 1996 story in the VILLAGE VOICE reported that in the past decade, over half of the country's private treatment centers have closed.
Also, ten years ago, insured people who received inpatient treatment could often get 28 days of care, which costs about $14,000. Today the average covered length of stay is closer to 7.7 days. "Inpatient care for addiction treatment has been virtually eliminated," says Mark Covall, executive director of the National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems. "What you see today is very much an outpatient-oriented program with very short stays in the hospital, primarily for detoxification."
As a result, says experts, patients who are sick enough to be in a residential setting are now having to seek care in outpatient and evening treatment programs, which may not provide enough support for lasting results. Jack Gronewald, COO of the Ridgeview Institute, a treatment facility, says, "For some patients, [the shorter stays] have led to almost a revolving door." He adding that rates of relapse have been greater since the advent of managed care. Providers are having to cram a lot more information into shortened courses of treatment, they say, and patients are having to absorb much more, at a time when they are likely to be shaky, confused, and still craving their drug of choice.
Thomas McLellan, Ph.D., a professor at the Center for Studies of Addiction at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, agrees. In studies in Philadelphia, he says, managed care has reduced the quality of services, compared to those available under traditional insurance coverage. "[With more extensive treatment,] we saw significant changes in employment, family function, and psychiatric status; and they were quite related to the provision of services for those problems. When those services were cut, you saw increases in alcohol and drug use," he says.

Also, many managed care plans that do have good provisions for substance abuse treatment don't publicize the fact. Drawing attention to a good program, they believe, could promote adverse selection, attracting patients who will use more extensive and expensive resources than others.

That's not all,
There have been cases where consumers have persuaded health insurance companies to reinstate substance abuse benefits. The most recent example is a case in New York. Last October, Attorney General Dennis Vacco threatened to sue Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Central New York for denying benefits to patients seeking drug and alcohol treatment. A year earlier, Blue Cross had warned providers that it would be reviewing claims retroactively and subsequently began denying a large number of outpatient claims as well as nearly all inpatient claims. "The company inexplicably changed the rules in the middle of the game -- without any discussions with the providers and to the detriment of the patients," says Vacco. Many of the facilities were forced to turn away patients, and substance abusers were discouraged from seeking treatment for fear that their insurance wouldn't cover their costs. In November, the health plan backed down and agreed to pay some $700,000 for inpatient and outpatient treatment claims that had been improperly denied. The health plan also agreed to pay the attorney general's office $15,000 to cover the cost of the investigation.

Source:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/closetohome/treatment/html/managed.html
Posted By:
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment   How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment EmptyThu 07 May 2009, 10:01 pm

Thank you for bringing this up, Dee. I remember back in late 1960's I went to a place called Spectrum House. It was at least a year and a half program depending on how well you recovered. The program was fanominal. I shook off a five year heroin habit after going through this program. There was a lot of intense confrontation groups and I learned a lot about myself. Best of all, it was free to those who couldn't pay. I mean, what average junkie has any money when they get to the point they need to clean up? Not to mention any insurance. Even though I have a PPO with Blue Cross and Blue Shield, I too can only have seven days of treatment. My premium every quarter is $1500. My employer pays so much every hour I work, but if I haven't worked enough to make the payment, I have to pay the difference. I thank every body responsible for me being where I am today. I think of all the suffering people out there who will never get help. They will die wanting help and for one reason or another they couldn't get it. I love you guys and I love this forum. We were meant to meet and be together. This is my belief and what I hang on to. Now you have got me teary eyed. You are worth every tear and every smile. Life is perfect most of the time, which is a far cry better than what it was. Thanks again Dee. You are a doll.

Yours in the struggle,
Barara
Back to top Go down

How Managed Care is Affecting Addiction Treatment
Page 1 of 1