Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Update on implants for the treatment of addiction

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Update on implants for the treatment of addiction Empty
PostSubject: Update on implants for the treatment of addiction   Update on implants for the treatment of addiction EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 2:35 pm

A panel for the FDA that once given approval for the new implant "Probuphine" for the treatment of addiction has now rejected Probuphine. Please see the previous news article dated April 22nd, HERE

Since that article there have been some questions as to the dosing strength for probuphine and with great cause. After reading that article I myself did some math just to see how much medication would be delivered into the patients body on a daily basis.

Each rod contains 80 mg. of buprenorphine, there are 4 rods bring that to a total of 320 mg of buprenorphine to be released over a 6 month period. In the previous article it stated that this would be enough medication to sustain a patient taking 12-16mg of buprenorphine a day. But as we all know, not everyone currently takes 12-16 mg a day.

Frankly I don't see where they came up with that figure. Do the math and please correct me if I am wrong. But by what I can tell with those numbers the amount of Buprenorphine released into a patients system over time would be about 1.7 mg per day. Not 12-16 mg.
At any rate the panel who at first approved has now rejected. Read the article below:

Update on implants for the treatment of addiction Ph10

Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc. (TTNP) plunged the most in 17 years after the company failed to win U.S. regulatory approval for an implant to treat addiction to heroin and prescription painkillers.

Titan fell 74 percent to 43 cents at 4 p.m. New York time, the biggest drop since January 1996 when the company began offering public shares. The Food and Drug Administration asked for more information to prove the matchstick-size implant called Probuphine for opioid dependence works, the company said in a statement yesterday. The FDA wants additional data on the effect of higher doses of Probuphine and training for doctors on insertion and removal of the implant.

Probuphine may generate $360 million in sales in 2018, Michael Higgins, an analyst for Brinson Patrick Securities Corp., said in an e-mail before the rejection. Titan, based in South San Francisco, California, licensed the U.S. and Canadian rights to Apple Tree Partners’ Braeburn Pharmaceuticals. Titan is eligible for a $50 million milestone payment on approval.

“Titan and our partner, Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, are extremely surprised and disappointed with the FDA’s response,” Marc Rubin, executive chairman of Titan, said in the statement.

Titan believes Probuphine demonstrated both safety and efficacy and meets a “critical need for new safe and effective treatments that reduce the likelihood of abuse, diversion and accidental pediatric exposure,” Rubin said.

A panel of FDA advisers that gave Probuphine a positive recommendation in March raised concern that the dose of the active ingredient, buprenorphine, may have been too low and questioned the adequacy of the physician training program.

Article Source:

Bloomberg Business Week
A special thank you to Ellen/BlueEyes for doing the great research in locating the above news article.
Ellen
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org

Update on implants for the treatment of addiction
Page 1 of 1