Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Suboxone Poll For You

Go down 
5 posters

If there was an appoved formulation for a generic equivalent of Suboxone would you switch?
Yes, I would switch.
A Suboxone Poll For You Vote_lcap63%A Suboxone Poll For You Vote_rcap
 63% [ 5 ]
No, the name brand works, so why change it now.
A Suboxone Poll For You Vote_lcap37%A Suboxone Poll For You Vote_rcap
 37% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

A Suboxone Poll For You Empty
PostSubject: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:46 pm

There has been some talk of a new Generic Suboxone. If you had the choice would you choose to switch from the name brand Suboxone to the Generic form of Suboxone if available?
Please cast your vote in the poll.
Love to all,
Dee

Last edited by nannamom on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyFri 13 Mar 2009, 11:47 am

Hello Everyone,
A few months back I created this poll to find out if you had the choice of switching over to a generic Suboxone or staying on Name brand Suboxone what would you do.
We have a lot of new members since then, when you have a few minutes could you please take the poll. It only take a second.
I am curious as to what the outcome will be.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Beinok

Beinok

Female
Number of posts : 16
Humor : Great sense of humor
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyFri 13 Mar 2009, 4:14 pm

Hi Dee,
If I answered this question last time, sorry. As long as the generic did the same thing I would switch in a second. No one company should have a monopoly on any drug. I don't understand how R-B does with Suboxone. They make a fortune in "Lysol" so give us Suboxone users a break. Yes, they offer a small PAP but it's not enough. I'm obviously very happy that they came up with the drug, now if they would simply make it accessible for the majority instead of minority I would be much happier!
Have a good day!
Beinok
Back to top Go down
Particular

Male
Number of posts : 44
Humor : Speeding through nowhere at the velocity of dreams
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyFri 13 Mar 2009, 8:23 pm

Absolutely Yes! All generic means in drugs, is that now they can compete for price! I think paying 800 dollars is a tragedy, since most of the people that would benefit from this drug are those who have already lost a lot, and more than likely their job/home and most of all insurance. I think the reason behind this is that they know most drugs haven't been tested enough to determine side effects that would cause damage and possible death. This way they have plenty of money to profit and pay back in law suits. To be honest too I think that's why a lot of doctors don't take the suboxone classes, because they think a lot of people who need it won't have the money to pay them. This drug saves lives! and it should be available to everyone who meets the criteria. I read an article where a scientist has done one up on suboxone. He's developed a way to prevent the build up of tolerance to opiates, this means that if you start on 5mg morphine and it works, you could take it long term and never develop the opiate addiction. This would make opiates a miracle drug. ok, ok I'm running on again, I"ll shut up.

~Your Partner in Recovery,
~Particular...

That's my two cents.
~Particular...
Back to top Go down
Beinok

Beinok

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyMon 16 Mar 2009, 4:05 pm

Particular wrote:
Absolutely Yes! All generic means in drugs, is that now they can compete for price! I think paying 800 dollars is a tragedy, since most of the people that would benefit from this drug are those who have already lost a lot, and more than likely their job/home and most of all insurance. I think the reason behind this is that they know most drugs haven't been tested enough to determine side effects that would cause damage and possible death. This way they have plenty of money to profit and pay back in law suits. To be honest too I think that's why a lot of doctors don't take the suboxone classes, because they think a lot of people who need it won't have the money to pay them. This drug saves lives! and it should be available to everyone who meets the criteria. I read an article where a scientist has done one up on suboxone. He's developed a way to prevent the build up of tolerance to opiates, this means that if you start on 5mg morphine and it works, you could take it long term and never develop the opiate addiction. This would make opiates a miracle drug. ok, ok I'm running on again, I"ll shut up.

~Your Partner in Recovery,
~Particular...

That's my two cents.
~Particular...
Hi Particular,
Happy to hear that someone else thinks the way I do on this subject. Unfortunately, I do not have a degree in business, but isn't there a law against monopolies? I know that Reckitt-Benckiser has had the drug on the market for quite a few years. I believe there is a period of time that a patent lasts. This is a money-making medication, why aren't other companies tying to jump into the pot, so to speak? I totally agree with you in that the majority of us have lost jobs, homes, and definitely insurance. Using myself as an example, I had a job that paid well and offerred great benefits. However, they did not like the fact that I had a problem with addiction and instead of offering treatment, they opted for dismissal. With no insurance, no way to pay for Suboxone, I was "screwed" (sorry, lack of a better word). I just believe there must be more than one company to challenge the price of this wonderful, life-saving medication. When I think of the people I have lost in my personal life, as well as those I don't know personally, I become infuriated. I have looked into this issue myself the past few years, once again, business not being my forte' I don't know where to go from here. I'm hoping there is someone elso out there that does know the in's and out's of the subject. I am certainly willing to do my part if someone will guide me in the right direction! I hope more of us join in this discussion!
Beinok
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyMon 16 Mar 2009, 6:08 pm

It is good to see some active posting going on.
The cost of Suboxone if you don't have insurance is high I agree. Last year I lost my insurance for about 5 months, during that time I had to pay for all of my medications. Luckily my doctor knowing that I was having a hard time agreed to let me make payments on my visits to her.
After doing some checking around on the Internet this weekend I found that As a result of it's orphan drug status, Suboxone has exclusivity in the USA until the end of September 2009 (Oct.8, 2009) and in Europe until 2016.
www.reckittbenckiser.com/DocumentDownload.axd?documentresourceid=136
In a way I can understand charging what they do to make back the money that has to be spent on marketing, licensing, etc.
I would imagine that at the end of the timeline we will see a lot of the drug companies enter the competition for our money. I am sorry to put it that way, but I don't know of any other way of putting it.
Even though the cost of Suboxone is high, it doesn't help matters any when you see doctors out there charging ridiculous fee's for their office visits. I have heard of doctors charging anywhere from 300.00 to 500.00 for a first visit and up to 200.00 for monthly visits. And for what? A return Suboxone visit takes no longer than a regular office visit.
Why can't more insurance companies and the State Medicaid agencies make more of an effort to incorporate Substance abuse treatment (on going treatment) into their policies? Most insurance companies will pay for the initial detox but not the ongoing treatment and medications.
There is a prescription discount card that can be downloaded. It does include Suboxone as one of the medications that can be discounted. I will include the link to that card at the end of the post, the card is free all you have to do is download it and use it. www.yourrxcard.com/index.php
Yours In Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyMon 16 Mar 2009, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the offer to comment. I've never been one to accept a generic for anything. I pay good money for medical insurance, so why not get the real thing? My answer is no, I do not want a generic form of Suboxone.

With love,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
Beinok

Beinok

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyThu 19 Mar 2009, 5:14 pm

Hi everyone,
I agree with Dee in that there are so many other things that need to be addressed when it comes to healthcare expenses. However, just sticking to the Suboxone question, I have a difficult time understanding why there would be a problem with having a generic out there. All this does is give people a choice as to which to buy. If you are of the belief that a generic is "second best" then by all means stay with the brand name. I also agree that the manufactuers deserve a lot for what they have contributed to putting Suboxone on the market. However, they have made a lot of money and there has to be a limit somewhere. No one is removing their right to continue making money on the drug, however, if this was the way it worked there would be only one aspirin, one heart medication, etc.. One of the very unfortunate facts of addiction is that people lose important aspects of their lives (i.e. jobs, insurance). It can be difficult to get these things back and without being able to get medications like Suboxone, it can be impossible; therefore addiction continues. My very sincere hope is that many companies take on the task of manufacturing, researching (and possibly improving) Suboxone. It is a wonder drug no doubt, but everything is capable of improvement. I also hope that it becomes available to the huge numbers of people that have not been able to take it due to the cost factor. I am one of those people that found Suboxone: it saved my life, was taken away due to finances, I crashed so hard that I felt as if I couldn't breathe (nor did I want to), by a miracle I was able to get back on it, once again it saved my life. As to what each of us would do if there were a generic available, is a fun thing to ponder. However, I would find it a lot more fun if this were really the case and I actually had the choice. Making Suboxone, or its equivalent, much more accessible to the world is a no-brainer to me. We could then return to this question with a lot more Suboxone treated people to put in their two cents.
To all those with access to this wonder drug, be grateful today! To those that are in pain and do not have access to this life-saving drug, keep praying that the day will soon come. I will always be there joining you in this prayer.
Beinok
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyThu 19 Mar 2009, 9:25 pm

I would love to see the day that this medication becomes available to those who cannot afford it. As you said Beinok, it is truly a miracle medication. Knowing that there are so many people out there that are not able to take it simply because they cannot afford it breaks my heart. Everyday I thank God that I am one of the lucky ones. I will keep my prayers steady as you are as well.
Yours In Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
JustRyan

JustRyan

Male
Number of posts : 4
Humor : see job/hobbies
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You EmptyMon 23 Mar 2009, 1:33 am

I think that the price of Suboxone is inflated to the degree of the manufacturer reaching robberbaron status. Yes, it is certainly a miraculous and life-saving chemical for thousands if not millions of people, but opiate addiction has no prejudice when it comes to race, height, eye-color, political party or financial standing. I would like to try the generic version and then the name-brand version in a blind study to truly decide if I would buy the generic. With this previous option being close to impossible, if the opportunity arises that I may pay less for my prescription then I would happily take the chance to find relief in a cheaper form that carries the same safety and potency as it's brand named predecessor. Did someone above mention the patent or trademark ending in this past September? I'll look into this further. The risk vs. benefit for a medicine like buphrenorphine does not take a rocket scientist to figure out. The pills work if taken as prescribed and should do the same without Reckitt-Bens. popping them into our mouths and playing superman with the success of these medicines. I'm going now to track some pertinent info down to see what I can find out regarding name brand vs. generic. I'll let all of you know in a public post any and all info I can conjure up. Have a little patience, this may take a day or five...Ryan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Suboxone Poll For You   A Suboxone Poll For You Empty

Back to top Go down

A Suboxone Poll For You
Page 1 of 1