Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised Empty
PostSubject: Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised   Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised EmptySat 23 Oct 2010, 12:05 am

The headlines read:
Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised.

Presently there is more than just this one news article out about Project Prevention. And most of them have the same Headliner stating that a US Charity is offering to pay addicts a fee to have themselves sterilized in order to stop them from having drug addicted babies.
The project was started by Barbara Harris from North Carolina. She has offered her service to 50 States here in the US and is now offering the service to addicts in England.

The article below also has a video attached along with it but unfortunately I was not able to post that particular video as it is not available for posting. But I did find quite a few videos about the project on You Tube. And I will be posting one or two depending on the space allowed. To view the original video please follow the link at the end of this article.

Drug addicts are being paid cash to undergo sterilisation.
Drug addicts across the UK are being offered money to be sterilised by an American charity.

Project Prevention is offering to pay £200 to any drug user in London, Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester and parts of Wales who agrees to be operated on.

The first person in the UK to accept the cash is drug addict "John" from Leicester who says he "should never be a father".

The move has been criticised by some drug charities who work with addicts.

Project Prevention founder Barbara Harris admitted her methods amounted to "bribery", but said it was the only way to stop babies being physically and mentally damaged by drugs during pregnancy.

Drug treatment charity Addaction estimates one million children in the UK are living with parents who abuse drugs.

Pregnant addicts can pass on the dependency to the unborn child, leading to organ and brain damage.
Mrs Harris set up her charity in North Carolina after adopting the children of a crack addict.

Damage to children

Speaking to the BBC's Inside Out programme, she said: "The birth mother of my children obviously dabbled in all drugs and alcohol - she literally had a baby every year for eight years.

"I get very angry about the damage that drugs do to these children."

After paying 3,500 addicts across the United States not to have children, she is now visiting parts of the UK blighted by drugs to encourage users to undergo "long-term birth control" for cash.

John, a 38-year-old addict from Leicester, is the first person in the UK to accept money to have a vasectomy after being involved in drugs since he was 12.

He said: "It was something that I'd been thinking about for a long time.

"I won't be able to support a kid; I can just about manage to support myself."

Simon Antrobus, chief executive of Addaction, said while no-one wanted to see children brought up in a drug-using environment, there was no place for Project Prevention in the UK.

"It exploits very vulnerable people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol at probably the lowest point in their lives," he said.

The Reverend Robert Black, of Victory Outreach, which works with former addicts in east London, said he thought Project Prevention's aims were "very devious".

It might work in America but Great Britain is a very different country”

Reversible contraception
Maria Cripps, team leader at Islington's Dovetail service which is part of Cranstoun Drug Services, said: "I think Barbara uses some very extreme examples to get her point across. It might work in America but Great Britain is a very different country."

But Reverend Martin Blakebrough, director of Camden's Kaleidoscope Project in north London, said sterilisation was "worth considering" if it was right for the individual.

A spokesperson at the British Medical Association said: "The BMA's ethics committee does not have a view on the charity Project Prevention.

"As with all requests for treatment, doctors need to be confident that the individual has the capacity to make the specific decision at the time the decision is required.

"The BMA's ethics committee also believes that doctors should inform patients of the benefits of reversible contraception so that the patients have more reproductive choices in the future."

BBC News London

Last edited by nannamom on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised Empty
PostSubject: Project Prevention continued   Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised EmptySat 23 Oct 2010, 12:13 am

Below is a Video that I was able to locate and post about the above subject. To be fair I thought I should post three videos. One is an interview between Barbara Harris from Project Prevention and Hard Talk.
The second is one that was created by Barbara Harris herself four days ago. The last one is an interview with someone who has actually taken advantage of the program.