Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suboxone and Pain Medication.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mez

Mez

Female
Number of posts : 63
Humor : it's coming back.
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Suboxone and Pain Medication. Empty
PostSubject: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 5:30 am

What sort of pain relief can I take while I am on suboxone?

This has probably been done to death, but because I didn't have a problem then, I didn't take much notice. I had spinal surgery on C5 and C6 years ago. No problem until recently when I found out that I have bony growths over the titanium cage in my neck.

The neurosurgeon wanted me to take valium and panadeine forte when the pain got acute. I declined. Suboxone isn't helping with this type of pain. Does anyone know what is the most harmless pain medication to take that won't interfere with my recovery and the suboxone?

Mez.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 11:41 am

Hi Mez,
I have had three suregeries on my back ( L5 S1 ) Suboxone does not help with my pain either.
I have found that Ibuprofen helps me more than anythings.
My doctor has me taking 800mg four times a day. It is alot to take, but I do well at this dose.
Sometimes a doctor will prescribe prednisone for the onset of accute pain, it helps with the swelling and inflamation. But it can also make you very irritable, it does me.
With Deborah being a pharmacist, maybe she can tell you about what is available more than I can. I am sure that she will answer this post as soon as she sees it.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 9:13 pm

Hi Mez,

Can I suggest some Accupuncture? Or Point Pressure Therapy? I take Aleve or Advil, which is like Ibuprophen. Like Dee said, Deborah can probably tell you best. She's resting, but not gone for long.

Sorry you are in pain.
Love,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 12:46 am

Hi Mez, I agree with Barb. Accupuncture worked great on me. It also calmed me down when I was stressed. Cathy
Back to top Go down
Mez

Mez

Female
Number of posts : 63
Humor : it's coming back.
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 3:48 am

Cathy, Dee and Barbara,

Thanks for your suggestions. I agree, Advil has helped me the most. I might check with my Doc. about taking a higher dose like you have done Dee. Does acupuncture really work? I am very ignorant about it. I get worried that I will get someone who got there qualifications and experience from a cereal packet.

The pain has eased more today coz I had a day off. Thanks for your help.

Mez. X
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 12:09 pm

Mez,
You can also try hot soaks in the tub, and the use of a heating pad.
They also sell "Heat packs" that have an adhesive back on them that makes them stick to the area that gives you the most trouble. There are two different kinds that I know of. One is made by Icy Hot and it is like regular icy hot or ben gay. The one that I use is actually like putting a portable heating pad on your skin. It will last up to eight hours. I buy them at Wal Mart for around 3.00 for one. And they also have different sizes as well.
I have also heard some good things about accupuncture. Ask your doctor to recomend someone for you. Make an appointment to go in and meet them. If you feel uncomfortable, nobody says that you have to use that particuliar one. Find someone that you feel relaxed with.

Just a note* If you don't like the thought of needles, you can also do some research on Acupressure. Try and take it easy, the more work of others that you do, the more they will expect you to do.
Enjoy the weekend.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 4:36 pm

Hi Dee,

Yes, they say do my job once, thank you...do it twice, it's yours. When I first thought of accupuncture, I thought about the needles too. Once I tried it, I found out they don't stick the needle in, they twirl it in without any pain. As soon as I find out about my heart, I'm going to use it to stop smoking. Tuesday I'm having a test done on my legs for Perifical Artery Desease. My Mom is getting a stress test done and an echo. Something is going on with her. I'll tell you on the phone or on the casual area. They say if you have smoked for a long time, it puts a strain on your heart and lungs.

Glad everyone is in a good mood and well. Just got in from the Suboxone doctor and want to take a short nap.

Love,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suboxone and Pain Medication.   Suboxone and Pain Medication. Empty

Back to top Go down

Suboxone and Pain Medication.
Page 1 of 1