Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi I'm new here,

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sammy

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 1:29 pm

Hi Everyone
I'm new to the Suboxone forum, My husband and I are curently on methadone, My husband is comming down off the methadone and soon to get on suboxone, we are just learning about suboxone, and need to learn about it, I do have a question, if someone is on suboxone can they take pain medicine? The reason I'm asking is because my husband suffer's from pain, but his Insurance in time will not cover him on the methadone, But also he doe's want to get off of the methadone, Even non addictive pain medicine he will take instead of addicting pain medicine. So if anyone can help me with this matter I would greatly appresiate it. I'm just learning to get around this site, and I'm excited to meet you all. I hope to hear from you all. I'm 43 yrs old Happily married and I have 2 sons, my oldest is in the Marine's going on 5 year's my younger son is 15 yrs old and is an Honor student, I'm a very proud mom. Have a nice day Sincerely Sammy.
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Number of posts : 695
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 3:08 pm

Hi Sammy!
It's great to hear from you!! I'm very happy to hear that you & your husband are doing this together. My name is Beth. I've been taking the Subs since May & they've helped save my whole life!! From what I understand regarding your question about taking pain meds with the Subs, as this is what I was told. As long as you are not taking opiate pain meds & you check with your doctor or pharmicist about which specific medication he's being prescribed that it won't interfere or be potentially dangerous if taken together, (like the benzos are) that you should be fine to take them as prescribed. My doctor offered to prescribe a medication called "Ultram" that is a non-narcotic pain med, but I knew a girl who was badly addicted to those, as well. I figured that I'd attempt using Tylenol, Aleve & Excedrin to avoid any more potential addictions, as I know my personality. But, I also do know of another pain med that is dangerous to take with the Subs, as you may or may not come across it. I don't know how popular it is around the country, but a pain reliever called "Fiorinal" or "Fiorcet" that has butalbital & caffiene in it, as well as a barbituate, is very dangerous to take along with the Subs due to the barbituate component of it. There is also Fiorcet with Codeine or Fiorinal with Codeine, but that just adds one more drug component to that drug. I've heard that medication referred to as the "Devils Drug" at a headache seminar that I attended at the Cleveland Clinic. The doctors that were speaking there said that they'd never prescribe this drug to anyone, etc. That it is dangerous having all of those different drugs "mixed together" into one pill, as well as every one of them having abuse or addiction potential, so four times more likely to cause dependancy. I used to take this all the time as I'd been told that it was non-narcotic & non-habit forming, unless you took the kind with the codiene added in. Sorry to go off about this one medication, as I was deceived by it, I wanted to point it out to others that may come across it also.
I'm also curious as to why your husband wants to go off the Methadone if he suffers from chronic pain? Does the Meth not help him with pain relief? I wanted to let you know that some doctors will put patients that suffer from pain like that on Subutex rather than the Suboxone (which is the same as the Subutex, but also has another component called naloxone that is a narcotic "blocker" if you try to inject or snort the pill instead of letting it dissolve under the tongue) I'm sure that the creator of this forum, whose name is Deborah & who is also a Registered Pharmicist, will be able to give you more specific answers to your questions. I simply wanted to let you know how I understood it & possibly suggest to your husband that the Suboxone itself does not help with pain relief.. He may need to check into the Subutex or remaining on the Methadone if that helps control his pain? Please let me hear how it works out for the both of you..
It was great to hear you talking about your sons & it sure sounds like you have every right to be such a proud Mom! Congrats to you!! I am also married & have children, three kids. A 13 year old daughter, Nadine, that I found out also made the Honor Roll again this grading period! Very Happy Then, I also have two babies, a one year old son, Matty, & a two year old daughter, Caroline. They are my everything as I am still theirs right now! (well, at least the babies) We live in Ohio, near Cleveland, but not in the city at all. We're in a small farming town that actually does tours of the town as its still "done up like the old days!" Its a very touristy town for the history, as we live on the Erie Canal & just a bit south of Lake Erie. They still have mule hauled Canal Boat rides available & old houses that are Bed & Breakfast spots now. Some turning into museums, etc. Its really a neat, little town to live in! We have great local schools & it feels like a safe area. I've been born & raised here, as has my hubby and both of our families. We have mainly all of our family right here in this area. I hate the cold winters, but couldn't imagine moving due to the fact that our families are right here. Although, at other times, that seems like the biggest incentive in the world to want to move away! Wink Though, I'd have to say that those days are getting fewer & farer between as I've been living my life off the opiates! Idea
Sammy, it was nice to hear from you & I look forward to getting to know you better. Best of luck to you & your husband! Please let me know how everything is continuing to go for you both!
Hope to talk to you soon! Wink
Yours in recovery,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 8:24 pm

Hi Sammy!
Good to see you here. I am so glad that you made it to us.
Suboxone and pain....
Suboxone is generally not used for pain. It is said that it can be used for mild to moderate pain by some doctors. My sub doctor increased my dose last month because I had been hit by a car. I did not want to take the meds they gave me at the hospital. So she wanted me to try the extra sub per day to see if it would work.
To be honest with you. The Ibuprofen worked a lot better then the Suboxone for pain. What type of pain does your husband have may I ask?
the best thing that he can take for chronic pain as an addict is the Methadone that he is already on. I know that you said that he wants off of it, but it is the best. I took it for four years before I was on the subs and I was completely pain free the whole time. It was amazing. Before I took Methadone I had not worked for over 8 years due to sever pain. Now that I am on Suboxone I take 800mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day for pain. It keeps it at bay, but there are still some days that I suffer.
Will your husbands insurance cover the cost of the Suboxone? It is a lot more expensive than Methadone.
Do you know when the two of you will be doing the switch? Will your doctor be tapering you first? He is supposed to taper you down to 30 mg of Methadone before you switch. It is not an easy thing to do. But, it can be done.
Anyway...
Many,many welcomes to you. Will your husband be joining us here as well? he is most welcome.

Beth,
I read your post, your doctor wanted to put you on Ultram? I am so glad that you did not do it. Ultram is not to be taken with Suboxone. Ultram alone is not a nice medication and mixed with Suboxone is a no no.
I will paste the information that I have below, so you can read it. Okay
Love to you,
Dee

ultram and Buprenorphine Interactions:

buprenorphine and traMADOL (Major Drug-Drug)
GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking other opioids. These agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects on seizure threshold during coadministration. CNS- and respiratory-depressant effects may also be additive. In patients who have been previously dependent on or chronically using opioids, tramadol can also reinitiate physical dependence or precipitate withdrawal symptoms.

GENERALLY AVOID: Mixed opioid agonist-antagonist analgesics such as buprenorphine, butorphanol, nalbuphine, and pentazocine may theoretically decrease the analgesic effects of tramadol or cause withdrawal symptoms in patients who have been taking tramadol.

MANAGEMENT: Concomitant use of tramadol and other opioids, including mixed agonist/antagonist analgesics, should be avoided in general. Tramadol should not be used in opioid-dependent patients, and use in patients who are chronically on opioids is also not recommended. Tramadol is contraindicated in patients with acute opioid intoxication. Tramadol dosage should be reduced if it must be used in patients receiving opioids. Patients should be monitored for development of seizures and CNS and respiratory depression.
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, EmptyFri 23 Jan 2009, 10:27 pm

Hi Sammy!

I finally found you! I had to go into Orlando to my Sub doctor, stopped to see a friend who is having congestive heart problems. They had to put her on oxygen and doing sleep studies on her. It made me want to stop smoking right away. I feel so bad for her.

I'm real happy to see your post. Sorry I wasn't here right away, but I see you were warmly welcomed and we will do all we can to answer your questions. When I was on a high dose of suboxone (24 mgs a day) it helped with pain, but when I tapered down to 4 mgs.. it did nothing. The only thing Patrick can take for pain while on Suboxone is like Advil or Aleve. He may look into accupuncture. I know he has a lot of pain. A lot of my pain lightened up once I got off opiates. I've found Tramadol makes you sleep a lot. My dog takes it for his Arthritis and he sleeps a lot. He can do a try and see what will work for him. Whatever happens Sammy, we will walk with you guys and get it worked out.

Take you time finding you way around; I'm still learning. I'm just sooo glad you are here! You are such a sweetheart and lucky to have you.

I'll be around all night if you need to ask about anything or just talk.

Your friend,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 1:17 pm

Hi Sammy,

Please don't be shy about posting. I know you are sensitive, but I assure you there are good people on here who would be glad to get to know you. I would like to have you to talk to. Some people work during the day or go to school and it's pretty quiet. Anyway, I'll email or pm you and see how you are doing. I do wish you would share with every body. You have quite a success story. There's a few people here who their husband or wife is in recovery just like you and Patrick. You could be of help to them too.

I love you thiiiiiiiiiiiis much,

Barbara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi I'm new here, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm new here,   Hi I'm new here, Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi I'm new here,
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel :: Suboxone Issues :: Suboxone-
Jump to: