Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IrishMist

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-23

New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far Empty
PostSubject: New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far   New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 6:13 pm

I am new to this forum but since I have been reading and taking to heart a lot of what has been posted here, I thought it only right that I share my experience in the hopes it will give someone else some relief.

I started Suboxone about two years ago to get off of painkillers and also to manage chronic pain. My psychiatrist prescribed it for me. When my psychiatrist went off my insurance plan, I had a really hard time finding another doctor to prescribe it so I decided it was time to get off of it. I discussed this with my general practitioner and she said she would help me and support me as much as possible but that there really was not much she could do. She prescribed Ativan for the extreme anxiety I was experiencing whenever I tried to get off. It helped me sleep but made me a zombie all the next day.

Anyway, my initial Suboxone dose was 8 mg 3 x a day. I did that for about two months and then started taking it only twice a day, and then once a day. I was on it once a day for about a year.

To get off, I tapered over a long period of time. I have many reasons why I cannot take time off for withdrawal and I was determined that withdrawal would not stop me in my tracks. I started by folding the film in half and taking that for once a day for a month. Then I folded the half in half and did that for 6-8 weeks. I folded that in half and, well, you get the idea. Eventually I was down to tiny slivers. I tried to stop a few times but had severe withdrawal, even at that low dose, so I kept at it, taking small slivers every day. Then I started taking it later in the day, then skipping days altogether. I have now been off it completely for 5 days and so far I feel absolutely no withdrawal. I am not doing the happy dance yet, however, I am still worried that it will hit me in a few days. However, and this is important, whenever I tried to stop it before, I always had w/d symptoms after being off of it for 3 days. But not now.

So I’m here to tell you that it is possible, I think, to get off of it without any withdrawal but you must do it very slowly. I have a new psychiatrist who upped my dosage of Welbutrin from 300 to 425 mg, and gave me Seroquel for the anxiety, which helped me sleep and didn’t make me feel groggy all the next day. Maybe that combo will work for you as well. There is also a product sold on the Internet called Withdrawal Ease, and I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I didn’t have that when I tried to get off Suboxone before, so maybe the fact that I started taking it helped. (it is a proprietary combination of vitamins and herbs).

One more thing: be kind to yourself and don’t feel bad about feeling bad. There were days when I tried to stop it before when all I could do was lay on the couch and watch television and that is not me at all. I’m pretty hyperactive so that was really hard for me. But instead of judging myself, I decided to listen to my body and keep at it. I think if I had pushed myself harder, I would have had a rougher time. I think the lack of motivation and energy was due to the fact that I wasn’t ready yet; I still had a few more weeks of tapering before I was ready.
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin
Blue Eyes

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Welcome ~!   New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 7:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum ! I'm Blue and I am the forum's moderator.

I want to first, congratulate you on successfully completing your treatment, well
the medication side of it anyway. cheers cheers cheers 

Your the perfect example of how we should "Listen to our bodies" during this whole
experience with coming off of Suboxone, and it seems like you did a great job doing just that.

Keep us posted, I want to see how you feel each day - Stay strong and stay positive, you
can do this !!!!

Be well,
Blue
flower 
Back to top Go down
IrishMist

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far   New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far EmptyWed 25 Sep 2013, 5:55 pm

Hi
Thanks for that! Do you think I am out of the woods yet? It was last Friday at 2:00 am that I took my last tiny sliver and all I feel is a little lethargic. I actually felt good enough today to go to my water aerobics class yet I was exhausted after it, which is never the case usually. I am trying very hard to fake it til I make it, so I am not telling anyone around me (except my spouse) what is happening with me. I don't want anyone to have any expectations of me that I will be really sick with w/d and I don't need the judgement.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far   New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far EmptyThu 26 Sep 2013, 4:54 pm

Irish Mist,
It is good to have you here with us. My name is Dee and I am the admin of the forum.
First I want to congratulate you on your success. When I was reading your first post I found myself smiling. It's always good to hear of someone who has been able to taper as you have. "Listen to your body" A great rule of thumb to live by. People will say different things but our bodies will always tell us what we need.

Your experience will give hope to many, thank you for posting.  Like Blue, I would like to hear how you are doing on a daily basis if it is possible for you to post.

I did check out the withdrawal ease that you mentioned. I was able to find a website that lists the active ingredients and what they do. I want to post it at the end of my post so our other members can read it if they are interested in trying it as well.
Please do keep in touch, and again congratulations!
Best wishes,
Dee

Withdrawal Ease:
Passion Flower
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Anxiety, stress, tension, insomnia, digestive problems and menstrual cramps.

Pharmacology: Passion Flower contains alkaloids, flavonoids and passiflorine which have a chemical make-up similar to morphine and other opiates. As a result, it is believed that these compounds react with the Central Nervous System to help relieve anxiety, however there are also believed to be energy inducing qualities in this reaction as well.

Efficacy: There have been many randomized clinical trials using passion flower and placebos which have reported compelling results for the use of passion flower in patients with anxiety and insomnia. Commission E. ( The FDA’s Counterpart in Europe) has approved the use of passion flower for anxiety, restlessness and insomnia.

Interesting Tidbits: The Incas used to brew passionflower tea for its calming effects.

Lemon Balm
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Immune-booster, insomnia, viral infections, digestive problems and wound healing.

Pharmacology: The active ingredients include polyphenols and eugenol. The polyphenols are claimed to be anti-infective/anti-microbial agents. The eugenol is said to have anesthetic properties. The essential oils of the herb are purported to have soothing and calming effects.

Efficacy: In Germany, randomized controlled trials were conducted comparing lemon balm to Halcion (a prescription sleep-aid) and was proven to be as effective in combating insomnia. Commission E. in Europe has approved it for use as a sedative.

Interesting Tidbits: Lemon balm was widely used by Arabs in the 10th Century as an anti-anxiety remedy. In Medieval Europe, the Emperor Charlemagne was said to be a huge fan of lemon balm and ordered it grown in every one of his gardens

Pomegranate
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Arterial health, common colds and rhinovirus infection.

Pharmacology: Pomegranate contains a heavy dose of antioxidants called polyphenols which are said to help break down plaque in the arteries and promote vascular health.

Efficacy: Israeli studies have demonstrated promising cardiovascular health benefits from pomegranate. The fruit is also the subject of many clinical trials for its potential anti-carcinogen effects with prostate and breast cancer.

Interesting Tidbit: The Greek Goddess Persephone, Daughter of Demeter, was tricked by Hades into eating Pomegranates and thus was condemned to live in the underworld for four months out of every year. Demeter (aka The Goddess of the Harvest) protested of her daughter’s imprisonment by prohibiting any fertility on Earth during those four months. This prohibition became the Greek explanation for the seasons.

Slippery Elm Bark
Pharmacology: Slippery Elm provides Mucilage which is a type of complex sugar called a polysaccharide. When elm bark is moistened, it is believed to help soothe the smooth muscles of the GI tract and provide easier digestion.

Efficacy: The FDA calls slippery elm “an excellent demulcent”. That’s a fancy, clinical term for an agent that helps lubricate or smooth the GI tract.

Interesting Tidbit: There used to be a law called the “slippery elm bark law” that only allowed the elm to be used for certain purposes and even required that it be cut to certain lengths. In the 1800′s, Slippery Elm was also used as a digestive aid, as well as a simple treatment for indigestion.

Anise
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Upset stomach and congestion

Pharmacology: Anise contains anethole (a phytoestrogen) which is believed to help treat indigestion, insomnia and coughs.

Interesting Tidbit: Anise is typically used in “black licorice” instead of real licorice since the “real” thing can sometime produce hypertension and anxiety.

Horseradish
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Digestion, expectorant and circulatory stimulant.

Pharmacology: Horseradish contains enzymes, glycosides, resin and vitamin C which are said to help indigestion and help the liver break down fatty acids.

Efficacy: Horseradish is known to have diuretic properties and has been used to treat coughs, colds and even urinary tract infections.

Interesting Tidbit: Horseradish doesn’t have a colorful past like some of our other ingredients here. However, that doesn’t mean that it hasn’t had any historical impact. For centuries horseradish has been used as a substitute or alternative to mustard, and also is the chief ingredient in Arby’s “Horsey Sauce”. It has also been used widely to mask the taste of poorly prepared prime rib (which happens with alarming frequency unfortunately).

Echinacea
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Immunity boost, fighting colds and viral infections, healing wounds.

Pharmacology: Echinacea contains fatty acids, insulin, plant sterols and polysaccharides which can help boost the immune system by helping macrophages in the bloodstream seek and destroy viral invaders. Echinacea also purportedly energizes other essential white blood cells such as T lymphocytes which are natural viral “killer-cells” to help fight infectious agents. Echinacea is also considered a potent treatment for reducing the severity and duration of colds and flu.

Efficacy: The Journal of Family Practice Medicine published results from several double-blind studies with over 1,000 participants — half of whom took echinacea at the onset of cold symptoms, and half of whom took a placebo at the onset of cold symptoms. Of the population that took Echinacea, the duration of their colds averaged 4 days while those on a placebo experienced colds that lasted 8 days. Commission E in Europe endorses the use of Echinacea to treat colds and the flu.

Peppermint
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Muscle pain, insomnia, stomach pain, IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome), coughs and headaches.

Pharmacology: Peppermint gets its power from Menthol. Menthol can be used topically and internally as an anesthetic to help numb pain and relax smooth muscles. Smooth muscle relaxation has been said to relieve tension headaches caused by muscle spasms in the neck and jaw.

Efficacy: Peppermint is been indicated for being useful in the treating colds by the FDA and also is widely used in Europe as an active ingredient in popular analgesics and cold remedies. Peppermint has also been approved for the above uses by Commission E.

Interesting Tidbit: Native Americans used Peppermint to treat coughs and colds.

Green Tea
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Headaches, energy, cardiovascular health and diarrhea.

Pharmacology: Green Tea has a rich supply of anti-oxidants called polyphenols. Antioxidants have cell and tissue healing properties that can help repair damaged tissue and organs. Polyphenols in particular have been purported to prevent many types of cancer and prevent certain types of heart disease. The caffeine in the tea is a natural stimulant and helps provide energy and alertness.

Efficacy: Antioxidants have been the subject of numerous clinical trials mostly around the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Japanese controlled trials produced compelling evidence that those people who drank green tea regularly are less prone to certain cancers such as stomach, lung and breast cancers.

Panax Ginseng
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for:Rebuilding strength and vitality, energy, alertness, mental acuity and helping to relieve
stress and low libido.

Pharmacology: Ginseng contains hormone-like saponins and ginsenosides that work on the central nervous system to help counteract damage caused by physical and emotional stress and fatigue. The hormone-like compounds also help to act as a non-caffeine stimulant.

Efficacy: In a European study comprised of roughly 250 participants who complained of persistent general fatigue, half of the participants were given ginseng and half were given a placebo. The group that received ginseng demonstrated significantly less lethargy and it was concluded that ginseng helps fight fatigue by stimulating the adrenal glands.

Mucuna Prureins
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), depression, energy/drive.

Pharmacology: Mucuna Prureins contains high concentrations of levadopa which is a precurser to dopamine — a neurotransmitter that is located in the “pleasure centers” of our brains. People who are depressed or who have low energy usually have decreased dopamine levels. Levadopa has been said to help increase a person’s energy levels and also help relieve depression.

Efficacy: Most studies and literature reviews of Mucuna Prureins pertain directly to its potential treatment of Parkinsons. There are several abstracts that cite the tertiary benefits of the plant for depression, sex drive and the relief from RLS.

Cayenne (Red Pepper)
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Diarrhea, chronic pain/nerve pain, muscular aches and pains, influenza, headaches and the “chills”.

Pharmacology: Cayenne contains capsaicin and vitamins. The capsaicin has been purported to interfere with Substance P. which is a chemical that sends pain signals from the nerves to the brain. The method of action is commonly referred to as “counter-irritation”, which in plain terms confuses the central nervous systems’ ability to report pain back to the brain.

Efficacy: Capsaicin has been approved by the FDA as a topical agent to help relieve sore and pulled muscles, and is used in many over-the-counter joint and muscle pain relievers. A VA hospital in the US conducted a trial among roughly 150 patients suffering from osteoarthritis, a condition that causes severe joint pain. Half of the group received a capsaicin cream rubbed onto their joints and the other half received a placebo. The participants receiving the capsaicin cream reported significantly more pain relief that the control (placebo) group.

Ginger
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Nausea, morning sickness, arthritis and digestion.

Pharmacology: Ginger contains a blend of amino acids, resin, starch and vitamins which are primarily said to serve as a gastrointestinal anti-spasmodic.

Efficacy: Ginger’s efficacy for use as a gastro-intestinal anti-spasmodic (i.e. it calms your belly) has been exhaustively studied by some of the most prestigious clinical boards and associations in the world, including the American Medical Association and the British Journal The Lancet. Most clinical trials have been dedicated to ginger’s anti-nausea indications. Additionally, enumerable trials have reported superior outcomes when it comes to fighting nausea compared to placebos and even popular over-the-counter anti-nausea medications such as Dramamine.

Tumeric
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Immunity booster, digestive problems, diarrhea and arthritis.

Pharmacology: Tumeric contains Curcumin which acts as an immune stimulant, an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and helps liver function. One of Curcumin’s many functions is that it stimulates the production of bile which helps break down fats and helps kill certain pathogens in the digestive tract. Curcumin also acts as a pseudo-COX-2 Inhibitor which is the active ingredient in many anti-inflammatory drugs that treat osteoarthritis.

Efficacy: In India (where Tumeric is widely used in curries and other traditional Indian foods), Tumeric has been found to be effective in the treatment of arthritis pain, without the gastrointestinal side effects of NSAIDs.

Milk Thistle Extract
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Cirrhosis, Drug-induced liver damage and toxin-induced liver damage.

Pharmacology: Milk Thistle contains a blend of compounds called silymarin which is said to be a powerful liver protectant. It is thought to help repair damaged liver cells and also helps blocks certain toxins from entering the liver.

Efficacy: Silymarin is sometimes considered the most effective treatment for poisoning from certain mushrooms. Several studies have also evaluated milk thistle extract for its healing properties in damaged liver cells due to cirrhosis and drug-induced liver damage. Those that took milk thistle extract in several of these controlled trials had significantly less elevated liver enzymes (which is an indication of reduced liver function) than the control group.

Valerian Root Extract
Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine use it for: Insomnia, anxiety, headaches and muscle spasms.

Pharmacology: Valerian contains valepotriates which have a sedative effect and are said to produce sleep as quickly as some benzodiazapines (Xanax and Klonopin). With Valerian, not only is the onset of sleep hastened but also the quality of sleep is improved. In a German study with over 70 chronic insomniacs, with half of the participants taking Valerian and half taking a placebo, the Valerian group achieved significantly faster sleep and awoke more well rested than the placebo group.

Vitamin B1 – Thiamine
Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine HCL
Folate – Folic Acid
Viatamin B12 – Cyanocobalamine
L-Tyrosine
Zinc
Copper
Magnesium (Oxide)
Magnesium (Stearate)

There is also a nigh time Withdrawal Ease which contains:

Gaba
Melatonin
Milk Thistle Ext.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Reduced Glutathione
Valerian Root Ext. 0.8%
Methionine

See website to read more about Withdrawal Ease
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far   New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the Forum but doing pretty well so far
Page 1 of 1