Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female
Number of posts : 2210
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets Empty
PostSubject: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets 1bath-10

Dr. Jeffrey J. Narmi could not believe what he was seeing this spring in the emergency room at Schuylkill Medical Center in Pottsville, Pa.: people arriving so agitated, violent and psychotic that a small army of medical workers was needed to hold them down.

They had taken new stimulant drugs that people are calling “bath salts,” and sometimes even large doses of sedatives failed to quiet them.

“There were some who were admitted overnight for treatment and subsequently admitted to the psych floor upstairs,” Dr. Narmi said. “These people were completely disconnected from reality and in a very bad place.”

Similar reports are emerging from hospitals around the country, as doctors scramble to figure out the best treatment for people high on bath salts. The drugs started turning up regularly in the United States last year and have proliferated in recent months, alarming doctors, who say they have unusually dangerous and long-lasting effects.
Though they come in powder and crystal form like traditional bath salts — hence their name — they differ in one crucial way: they are used as recreational drugs. People typically snort, inject or smoke them.
Poison control centers around the country received 3,470 calls about bath salts from January through June, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, up from 303 in all of 2010.
“Some of these folks aren’t right for a long time,” said Karen E. Simone, director of the Northern New England Poison Center. “If you gave me a list of drugs that I wouldn’t want to touch, this would be at the top.”

At least 28 states have banned bath salts, which are typically sold for $25 to $50 per 50-milligram packet at convenience stores and head shops under names like Aura, Ivory Wave, Loco-Motion and Vanilla Sky. Most of the bans are in the South and the Midwest, where the drugs have grown quickly in popularity. But states like Maine, New Jersey and New York have also outlawed them after seeing evidence that their use was spreading.

The cases are jarring and similar to those involving PCP in the 1970s. Some of the recent incidents include a man in Indiana who climbed a roadside flagpole and jumped into traffic, a man in Pennsylvania who broke into a monastery and stabbed a priest, and a woman in West Virginia who scratched herself “to pieces” over several days because she thought there was something under her skin.
“She looked like she had been dragged through a briar bush for several miles,” said Dr. Owen M. Lander, an emergency room doctor at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va.
Bath salts contain manmade chemicals like mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, also known as substituted cathinones. Both drugs are related to khat, an organic stimulant found in Arab and East African countries that is illegal in the United States.

They are similar to so-called synthetic marijuana, which has also caused a surge in medical emergencies and been banned in a number of states. In March, the Drug Enforcement Administration used emergency powers to temporarily ban five chemicals used in synthetic marijuana, which is sold in the same types of shops as bath salts.
Shortly afterward, Senator Bob Casey, Democrat of Pennsylvania, asked the agency to enact a similar ban on the chemicals in bath salts. It has not done so, although Gary Boggs, a special agent at D.E.A. headquarters in Washington, said the agency had started looking into whether to make MDPV and mephedrone controlled Schedule I drugs like heroin and ecstasy.

Mr. Casey said in a recent interview that he was frustrated by the lack of a temporary ban. “There has to be some authority that is not being exercised,” he said. “I’m not fully convinced they can’t take action in a way that’s commensurate with the action taken at the state level.”

Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, introduced federal legislation in February to classify bath salts as controlled Schedule I substances, but it remains in committee. Meanwhile, the drugs remain widely available on the Internet, and experts say the state bans can be thwarted by chemists who need change only one molecule in salts to make them legal again.
And while some states with bans have seen fewer episodes involving bath salts, others where they remain fully legal, like Arizona, are starting to see a surge of cases.
Dr. Frank LoVecchio, an emergency room doctor at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, said he had to administer general anesthesia in recent weeks to bath salt users so agitated that they did not respond to large doses of sedatives.

Dr. Justin Strittmatter, an emergency room doctor at the Gulf Coast Medical Center in Panama City, Fla., said he had treated one man whose temperature had shot up to 107.5 degrees after snorting bath salts. “You could fry an egg on his forehead,” Dr. Strittmatter said.

Other doctors described dangerously elevated blood pressure and heart rates and people so agitated that their muscles started to break down, releasing chemicals that led to kidney failure.
Mark Ryan, the director of the Louisiana Poison Center, said some doctors had turned to powerful antipsychotics to calm users after sedatives failed. “If you take the worst attributes of meth, coke, PCP, LSD and ecstasy and put them together,” he said, “that’s what we’re seeing sometimes.”

Dr. Ryan added, “Some people who used it back in November or December, their family members say they’re still experiencing noticeable paranoid tendencies that they did not have prior.”
Before hitting this country, bath salts swept Britain, which banned them in April 2010. Experts say much of the supply is coming from China and India, where chemical manufacturers have less government oversight.

They are labeled “not for human consumption,” which helps them skirt the federal Analog Act, under which any substance “substantially similar” to a banned drug is deemed illegal if it is intended for consumption.

Last month, the drug agency made its first arrests involving bath salts under the Analog Act through a special task force in New York. Undercover agents bought bath salts from stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn, where clerks discussed how to ingest them and boasted that they would not show up on a drug test.

“We were sending out a message that if you’re going to sell these bath salts, it’s a violation and we will be looking at you,” said John P. Gilbride, special agent in charge of the New York field division of the D.E.A.

The authorities in Alton, Ill., are looking at the Analog Act as they prepare to file criminal charges in the death of a woman who overdosed on bath salts bought at a liquor store in April.
“We think we can prove that these folks were selling it across the counter for the purposes of humans getting high,” said Chief David Hayes of the Alton police.

Chief Hayes and other law enforcement officials said they had been shocked by how quickly bath salts turned into a major problem. “I have never seen a drug that took off as fast as this one,” Chief Hayes said. Others said some people on the drugs could not be subdued with pepper spray or even Tasers.

Chief Joseph H. Murton of the Pottsville police said the number of bath salt cases had dropped significantly since the city banned the drugs last month. But before the ban, he said, the episodes were overwhelming the police and two local hospitals.
“We had two instances in particular where they were acting out in a very violent manner and they were Tasered and it had no effect,” he said. “One was only a small female, but it took four officers to hold her down, along with two orderlies. That’s how out of control she was.”
Reference:
New York Times

Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — High on a drug called Monkey Dust, the 31-year-old man imagined people were crawling out of his mattress and coming to kill him. Panicked and paranoid, he grabbed his assault-style rifle and ammunition, ran out of his apartment and disappeared into the streets of Bangor, scaring his ex-girlfriend so much that she called police.

When officers later found the man standing on a street corner, he led them to his weapon. Apparently scared of how he was acting and what he might do, the man, Christopher Thompson, had dismantled the gun, wrapped it in a blanket and stashed it — along with a full magazine and 18 rounds of ammunition — in an abandoned shack. He was charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

Officials say that episode July 26 was no isolated incident. Across Maine, police and hospitals are reporting a surge of people becoming delusional and violent after injecting, snorting or smoking so-called bath salts, a synthetic drug that officials say is marketed under names including
Monkey Dust, Monkey Mess, K2 and Vanilla Sky.

The Northern New England Poison Center received 110 calls — 87 from Maine, 17 from New Hampshire, four from Vermont and two from places unknown — between January and July from hospitals and individuals reporting instances of people in need of help after taking the drug. Last year, the center got only one call, in November.

Lawmakers passed a bill last spring making bath salts illegal in Maine. The blitz of cases in Bangor prompted the police chief to say problems have reached "epidemic" proportions there.

"It's a daily occurrence," said Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards. "Two to five or six times a night, we'll deal somebody admitting to being on bath salts or Monkey Dust. It just seems that we've gone from nothing to this rage, this outpouring of cases of people on bath salts."

Bath salts are unregulated psychoactive substances that provide highs similar to those from amphetamines, Ecstasy and cocaine. For the most part, they've been available on the Internet and in specialty smoke shops, officials say.

Bath salts, along with other designer synthetic drugs, have recently taken hold in the U.S. Officials say they've become popular because they're accessible and inexpensive. For the most part they've also been legal, though Maine and a number of other states have now outlawed them.

People who take the drug report feeling euphoric and energized. But those who take too much can hallucinate and experience elevated heart rates, elevated blood pressure and high body temperatures, making them feel like their bodies are racing or on fire.

When people on bath salts become combative, it can take four or five people to subdue them, said Karen Simone, director of the Northern New England Poison Center. In some cases hospital staff have had to put them into light comas with heavy doses of sedatives to get them under control.

"What's a little bit different about bath salts is you have this violence and this paranoia that creates situations in which you not only have to deal with medical issues, but you also have to deal with the safety of the community and other people in the emergency department. One of our hospitals had to hire 24/7 security officers for its emergency department to deal with this so patients and families who were there for other reasons could feel safe," Simone said.

Reports of bath salts have come from around the state, Simone said, and she recently starting getting calls from hospitals in northern Maine. But Bangor seems to be experiencing the most cases, with several more also reported in the Rockland and Augusta areas.

Police and hospital officials say people high on bath salts have darted out in front of cars, attacked vehicles with shovels and flailed out at whoever happens to be there. Last month in Bangor, a 26-year-old woman was arrested after a couple reported she was following them on a street; she told police she was on bath salts and thought she was in outer space and wanted to be with her friends on Earth.

A couple of days later, police arrested a 32-year-old man after he crashed a service at a funeral home and was found running around threatening people, getting in their faces and acting delusional. He told police he was on bath salts when he was arrested and jailed, and he was found dead in his cell a short time later. Autopsy results are inconclusive on the cause of death pending the results of toxicology tests.

Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport saw several dozen cases involving bath salts this spring, said Dr. Chris Michalakes, the hospital's chief of emergency medicine.

After several episodes where people high on bath salts struck out at hospital staff and patients in the emergency room, the hospital increased its security and met with local law enforcement officials.

There's been a drop-off as of late, but Michalakes said he's still concerned.

"It really sort of snuck up on us," he said. "We hadn't seen any in Maine until this year and it's creeped through the state. It showed up in very rapid fashion."

Source:

Beaumont Enterprise.com
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Number of posts : 695
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyTue 16 Aug 2011, 8:42 am

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets Depres10

WOW!!

Thank you very much for sharing this information about these bath salts with us!!

Dee,

This is absolutely ludicrous to the point of nearly being speechless after reading your post. I do have some questions though. First & foremost, if one wanted to get ahold of these "salts" which I will be referring to as drugs from here on out, do they have to go to a specific store such as one that sells drug paraphernalia such as marijuana pipes, etc or can they just go to the local convenience store that sells such items as liquor or the uppers referred to as "Yellow Jackets" over the counter here in Ohio? Secondly, does one have to be a certain age to be able to purchase these drugs? Do you know of the age range of the users that this has become so popular with abusing? Third question, do you know if Ohio has placed a ban on these drugs yet? I have heard of these salts, but never have seen them, nor gotten nearly the amount of information that you have shared with us. I really did not even realize that people were actually using them to get high- that is how unknowledgable I am of knowing about them. This absolutely scares me to death for the young teens that will be turning 18 & if there is an age limit, that these young people do not have the knowledge of what they are actually ingesting. For that matter, the same goes for the unknowledgable adults who are obviously able to purchase them & have no idea what this drug can do them to the point of even causing death! It does remind me of the PCP epidemic except that these even seem to be worse! Tasers cannot even take these drug crazed people down- what a scary thought! And hospitals are placing these users into light comas because even the heaviest sedatives cannot settle them down!! No What if you or I or any of us here come across someone on this drug & how violent it makes them & this has become an epidemic!?! I would hope that the Federal government would just ban them altogether & somehow make it impossible to get them, but I know what an ignorant statement that really is since they cannot stop the drug flow that comes into this country every single day!! This article really scares me badly as there is so little knowledge of what this drug can actually cause people to do, how obviously dangerous it really is & how easily it sounds like it can be obtained. Twisted Evil

If you are able to answer any of my above questions, I would sincerely appreciate that as well as I will be deeply inquiring & watching for any news about this new found drug that is causing this uproar of chaos!!

Thank you again for the information & the articles that you have posted regarding this drug! Now my curiosity has been tweaked & I am on the hunt for more information regarding it as well...

Yours in this battle,
Beth affraid
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyTue 16 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

Beth,
I am on my way to counseling and will check in when I get back home. I have done a lot of reading on the subject having young nieces and nephews around. I will talk to you then.
Dee
Back to top Go down
cajunmeme

cajunmeme

Female
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Good,love people
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyTue 16 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

[b][i]

Hey Beth,
Sadly,I've had some contact with those drugs,salts. Not me personally but my daug. in law and her 18yr old daug. it's friggin potpourri and they smoke that crap. There is also a bath salt that looks just like cocaine. It's basically speed.

You have to be over 18 but believe it or not there are some stores that will sell it to these kids. It was taken off the front of the counters but you can get it from the cashier. you can get it at the corner convience store or a head shop.

Very easy access.

Also,it's very cheap so it's easier for these kids to get it. I say kids but they have adults doing it as well.

I hoope you enjoyed your trip.

Marie I love you
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female
Humor : There is no room in your heart for anger when you are filled with gratitude.

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets Surren10

Hello Dee & Marie!!

Thank you both for your responses to my questions regarding these salt drugs. This truly frightens me, especially in seeing the numbers rise to epidemic levels in just 6 months compared to a fraction of the entire previous year. I am very interested in learning more about this as well as how to get it out of the population, yet I know that I am unable to do this, but would sure love the power to be able to do so, as I am sure that many others wish that they could do as well.

Marie,
When I read what you had written, it about knocked me off of my feet. Luckily, I was already sitting down. Your daughter in law & her own 18 year old daughter using these drugs- I had no idea that it was so bad in that household & very much understand your concern for your grandson. What kind of Mother actually permits or promotes getting high on any type of drug with their own children? I am sorry if I have offended you with that statement- I am simply just shocked! Just because I am an addict (now in recovery) but none the less, I would NEVER want that same pain for my children to have to endure as well. I talk to my own daughter very openly about drugs & alcohol & the effects that it can have on her body, mind & soul! Not to even mention the factor of legality & the potential for death. After reading this article yesterday, I called her in to ask her if she has ever heard of these "bath salts" & she said sure- they are to smooth out your skin when you pour them into your bathwater. Sweet ignorant bliss! I read her parts of the article & asked that she never buy them for any purpose, not even for her baths. There are other products that will soothe your skin in your baths. She whole heartedly agreed with me. I still feel fear though for the millions of other ignorant users thinking that they are just going to get a "speed like" effect & end up in psych wards and/or placed into light comas BC they had NO IDEA what they were actually getting into. Or how very close to death that they have come with fevers spiking to 107 degrees or muscles breaking down or the very actions that these drugs cause them to do. Also, for the families of users that have already died due to the usage of this drug/"salts" & the anger & pain that they must be feeling that you can go to a convenience store & purchase these life threatening drugs for next to nothing cost wise as well as the very easy access that you had referred to being able to obtain them.

Now, here is some interesting news which answers some of my very own questions... Matt worked the midnight shift last night & when he came in the door, I was already sitting here typing out this very post & I asked him if he had ever heard of these “salts” & he said yes!! They are being sold in drive thrus, convenience stores, head shops, you name it, and they are here & still legal! In the past month, there have been several arrests every weekend (as well as weekdays, I am sure) in a very small city that is within 10-15 minutes of where we live. They are not being arrested for the usage of the “legal drug” but the illegal & erratic actions that they are causing people to do. I am astonished by this fact! It has apparently been in the crime section, week after week & growing in numbers every single week. And to me that means if they are that accessible in this small city, then they are even more prominent in our larger cities around our area. So, Dee, that answers my questions about them being legal in Ohio, as well as how easily they can be obtained as well as the low cost of purchasing them & where one could go to purchase them. A drive thru for Pete’s sake?? Super- one goes through & buys a package of these, pulls over into a parking spot & ingests them by whatever means they choose & drive off into oblivion.

Again, to all of this, I say WOW!!!

I am still going to continue to dig deeper into this drug & would still appreciate any feedback that any of you have regarding it. Please continue to fill my mind with facts about this crazy & obviously new growing drug that is so readily available, despite the dangers of it all. I would like to hear everything & anything pertaining to this epidemic that I now know is right in my backyard. I appreciate the real life personal stories as Marie posted about & what it has caused within their own lives. Thank you again very much Marie for sharing your experience with us. And again, I hope that I did not offend you in any way, shape or form by my statements made regarding your daughter in law. That was not my intention whatsoever- just shocked by it all!! The entire topic, not just your story. I hope that your family (despite what she means to you) does not get caught up in this ever growing epidemic & that no harm comes their way! I love you

I am closing up for now as I am heading out to find out when Caroline's bus will be picking her up & where & what time as well as hitting the store for school supplies.

Thank you both for your information! I look forward to hearing more about the reading that you have done on this topic Dee. I will also be letting you all know what I find out about it all as well.

Yours in this frightening situation,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
cajunmeme

cajunmeme

Female
Number of posts : 187
Humor : Good,love people
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

[i][b]
Beth,
You NEVER have to apoligize for your post/thoughts. Im pretty disgusted with her as well. It sickens me b/c she has tried to get my grandson to smoke pot when he was 12 yrs.old.
My son refuses to believe these things b/c she covers her butt. I would give anything to have that child taken away from her but since my son is part of that household there is no way it could ever happen. I've actually hope that at some point she'll get busted but hopefully not when Daniel is around.

She is a pathetic excuse for a mother and she says she has it under control. She's now taking Adderall and Adapex together along with anything else she can get.The girl is going to have a heart attack or worse. I could go on and on with stories but these are the reasons I keep Daniel as much as I can. I love him dearly and enjoy him but I try to keep him away as much as possible. He can't stand the way she acts but I think he's gotten to the point that he just deals with it.

My son needs to get himself out of denial and see what's really going on in his house. He works alot and thinks that's what is best for his family. Sure,working and making money is great but he needs to really know what's going on. If he has to face it then he'll have to do something about it and I don't think he wants to really see it.
It's very disturbing.

Marie I love you
Back to top Go down
bfye

bfye

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyThu 18 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets Sad_ey13

Oh Marie!!

I am so sorry to hear this information & the pain & fear that it must cause you! Sad Thank God that Daniel has you to stay with & as often as possible. I wish that your son could clear his head enough to see the reality of the situation. I don't know what the drug called Adapex even is, but it doesn't sound so good, especially when mixed with other meds. That is usually what causes prescription deaths- combining dangerous drugs together. I cannot even believe that I am still alive when I look back & see what I was taking together. But for the grace of God go I... Like a Star @ heaven Is your son in love with this woman? What is his reasoning for wanting to stay in this relationship? I admire your dedication to keep your grandson out of that home as much as possible & I would almost think that if she wants to use so badly, then having him out of her hair (so to speak) that she would embrace the idea of him wanting to go to his Grandma's. How old is he now? Was he the son that she tried to get to smoke pot with her at age 12? I believe that at a certain age, he would be able to explain these situations to his father- your son. And maybe that reality would smack him right in the face of needing to get that poor child out of that household. I really don't even know what to say about it all. Does she work, take care of the household or children or anything? If not, what is your son saying about why he stays? He can obviously work & would have your full support in taking care of his son. Is he also using along with her? I guess that I just cannot grasp why he is still there, but maybe that is how others feel about Matt staying with me. Although, I can say that I AM fighting my addiction & have the desire to be well. I don't see that aspect from her from by what I have read from you. He shouldn't just have to "deal with it" but you are right, if your son is there, there is no way for you to get him without their consent. I am so sorry for you & your son & grandson, etc. Even your daughter in law, in a different way. I wish that she had the motivation to want to be well. What about her daughter? If she is 18, is she still in that same household as well? How is she doing? Is she also an addict or has she simply tried these drugs with her Mother & has been able to put them away? I feel a deep concern for her as well because she has been condoned to go ahead & use if she so chooses. What scars will be left on her from these years of using with her own Mother? How will she ever learn to cope without the drugs unless she gets out of there & gets some professional help? And maybe the same goes for your grandson. I don't mean to be pushing my opinions onto you- I just feel deep concern for that family. YOUR family!! Like a Star @ heaven

I am so sorry Marie! Crying or Very sad My heart, prayers & strength go out to all of you!! Like a Star @ heaven I wish that something would happen to wake your daughter in law up out of this neurosis that she seems to be stuck in at the moment. I don't know the best answer or way to make that happen, but I do know that God has a plan for all of us & despite what we plan, we do not actually have the world in our own hands. We can do the very best we can, but only God knows what is actually in store for all. Again, I will pray for the very best possible outcome for this situation. My heart goes out to you! I love you

Love to you,
Beth I love you
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin
nannamom

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyThu 18 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

Beth
Don't feel bad. Until reading this news article I had never heard of "Bath Salts" like your daughter said, it was something to put it into my bath water. I asked my other half what he knows about it and he said the same thing as I did. "Honey, it's like that blue stuff you use when you take a bath"
It's seems it is more popular in the mid-west and southern states but I have no doubt it won't be long before it hits here just as hard.
We seem to be one of the later states for the designer drugs.
This afternoon I read another news article about Bath Salts. And I'll post it at the end of this post for you to read. I want to keep updating this subject. I know it can get boring reading about the same stuff, but I want to get the word out as much as we can.
Not everyone reads these news articles or goes to the DEA website. But we do have a lot of visitors to our forum and website so the more we have posted, the more we can educate people.

The drug that Marie mentioned is in the speed type. And when mixed with Adderal can be deadly It's scary.
My heart breaks for your grandson Marie. And it also breaks for your daughter in law as well. For your grandson it's obvious, he is an innocent.
As to your daughter in law because hopefully one day she will wake up and see what she is doing and want to make the change to become a better person and mother to her children.
She will look back on these days and won't be able to face herself knowing what she did in the past. The guilt will be overwhelming.
I've seen a lot of parents use with their kids. I don't know what makes them do it. Is it because they are trying to fit in? Be their friend/buddy? Or are they wanting to justify what they do?
Whatever the reason, it's wrong on so many counts. It's one thing to destroy their own lives but to destroy the lives of their children at the same time it's... I'm at a loss for words. Sad
We as parents are supposed to keep our children safe, teach them what is right and what is wrong. Teach them that yes, there are some monsters and demons they may have to battle from time to time. But we are not supposed to be those demons and monsters.
I hope for his sake and the sake of your grandson, your son soon realizes what is going on. Maybe he already does but doesn't know what to do about it.
You have your work cut out for you. For now, all you can do is be there for your grandson as much as possible. With school, at least he will be somewhere safe during the day. And with you on weekends.
I have some work to get done so I'm going to be back and forth. I am so far behind right now. I can't seem to get caught up.

Here is that news article along with the source:

Maine Officials Issue Bath Sales Health Alert to Schools
08/18/2011 01:55 PM ET
State officials say they're concerned about the synthetic drug making its way into Maine classrooms.

Maine Education Commissioner Stephen Bowen has issued a health alert to schools about the dangers of bath salts. Use of the synthetic drug, which causes hallucinations, paranoia and other effects, has increased in recent weeks, leading to a surge in emergency room visits and arrests.

As schools gear up for the year, Bowen says he's asking educators to be on the lookout for the drug. "The use of these drugs has increased so rapidly we really don't know what to expect," Bowen says in a statement. "We want to be prepared and make sure that our teachers, nurses, principals, and others are aware of the symptoms so we can help any child who is in danger."

The drug was recently made illegal in Maine, but Gov. Paul LePage plans to submit emergency legislation next month to beef up penalties for possession from a misdemeanor to a felony, state Rep. Doug Damon told the Bangor Daily News. LePage says he's concerned about the drug making its way into Maine classrooms.
The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm

Ow thank you Dee for sharing this information about Bath Salts! It seems like some pretty crazy stuff! What would possess people to do a drug like that in the first place! I just don't understand why some people do what they do!

And I don't understand why the bath salts aren't just ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE in the United States by now! And it should not be allowed to cross the border into the US from other countries! Get know how they're erring around it, so they need to stop it!

These bath salts are some dangerous stuff! I was in rehab with a kid who was on bath salts. He had been off of them for 4 months and only used them fr 2 weeks and he had some serious problems. Which he openly talked about in group, hoping he'd scare people there away from doing it. Well te next day this kids room mate killed himself because e used bath salts and was tripping!
It's some bad stuff!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets   New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets Empty

Back to top Go down

New Drug hits an alarming rate on the streets
Page 1 of 1